The Khetanna was an LO-KD57 luxury sail barge manufactured by Ubrikkian Industries that was modified to suit the needs of the Hutt crime lord Jabba. After the Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker killed Jabba's pet rancor, the crime lord demanded Skywalker and his companions Han Solo and Chewbacca be executed at the Great Pit of Carkoon. The Hutt and his entourage traveled to the pit in Khetanna in order to view the executions, but the prisoners managed to board the sail barge and kill Jabba, destroying the sail barge as they escaped.
During the early part of the Clone Wars, the Khetanna was carrying the Hutt's infant son, Rotta back to his palace. However, it then came under attack by a Trident-class assault ship being flown by Asajj Ventress, acting under orders from Separatist leader Count Dooku and his ally, Jabba's uncle Ziro. The Khetanna was then grabbed by the ship and Rotta was taken by Ventress to Teth. It survived the attack.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
During the Galactic Civil War between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire, Jabba continued to use the Khetanna. He used it when Lord Vader visited him and used its cannons to massacre a party of Tusken Raiders.
Rescue of Han SoloEdit
Shortly before the Battle of Endor, Princess Leia Organa, Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian, Chewbacca and the droids C-3PO and R2-D2 staged a rescue attempt of Han Solo, who was frozen in carbonite inside Jabba's palace. However, the attempt ended up failing and Organa was forced to become Jabba's slave, while Skywalker, Solo and Chewbacca were sentenced to death by being consumed by the sarlacc in the Great Pit of Carkoon. Jabba, accompanied by Organa and his entourage, traveled to the pit in Khetanna to witness the execution. However, R2-D2, who was still aboard the sail barge, launched Skywalker's lightsaber into the air, allowing the Jedi to catch it and fight back against Jabba's henchmen, while Organa went on to kill the Hutt. Skywalker soon managed to board Khetanna, and after neutralizing the guards on top, told Organa to aim the vessel's main blaster cannon at the deck. The pair proceeded to swing across to one of the nearby skiffs while the cannon fired at the barge, starting a chain-reaction and causing it to explode. Its remains ended up burying the sarlacc, allowing Jawas to scavenge them for their business.
Behind the scenesEdit
When the Special Edition of the Star Wars original trilogy was in development, the scene of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope in which Jabba met Han Solo at Mos Eisley was restored replacing Declan Mulholland with a CGI Jabba. As such, artist Claudia Mullaly pitched an idea of featuring Jabba mobilizing in a miniature version of the Khetanna with a control column at the bow for steering. However, as incorporating it into the original footage would have been difficult (especially when Solo steps on Jabba), this idea went shelved.
- 5-Minute Star Wars Villain Stories
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film (Appears in flashback(s))
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Cold (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Princess Leia – The Rescue"
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV
- "Tales from Wild Space: The Blue Brothers"—Star Wars Adventures 13
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Rescue from Jabba's Palace
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker
- Bloodline (Appears in hologram)
- "Tales from Wild Space: Majordomo, Major Problems"—Star Wars Adventures 23 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Khetanna)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- (as "Jabba’s sail barge")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- ↑ Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt