- "Get a scanning crew in here on the double! I want every part of this ship checked!"
- ―Captain Khurgee to his stormtrooper subordinates
- "There's no one on board, sir. According to the log, the crew abandoned ship right after takeoff"
- ―Khurgee explaining to Darth Vader
In 0 BBY, Khurgee was apparently a qualified pilot, but he spent an important part of his career as a docking-bay security officer. He served first aboard the Star Destroyer Thunderflare, where he was honored for bravery after rescuing five officers from a shuttle crash. He was later assigned to the first Death Star.
While the battle station lingered in the rubble of the Alderaan system, Khurgee was the security officer in charge of searching the Millennium Falcon in Docking Bay 327. He led the initial inspection in person, and reported to Darth Vader, before summoning a scanner team to perform a more thorough search. Not too long after, the Death Star saw its destruction in the subsequent Battle of Yavin.
Behind the scenes
Khurgee's biography derives largely from his card in the Star Wars Customizable Card Game; the reference to his piloting qualification is based on the more recent Wizards of the Coast card game, which uses an image of him, coupled with Chief Bast's line "Should I have your ship standing by?", to depict a Helmsman.
Among Star Wars fans, there is a relatively widespread belief that Khurgee held the rank of Line Captain in the Imperial Navy. However, there is no canon support for this statement, which seems to derive from the Star Wars Technical Commentaries website's interpretation of his rank insignia.
- Death Star
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novel
- Droids (1986) 7
- Star Wars (1977) 3
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (In flashback(s))
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (Quote only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: Captain Khurgee) (backup link)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 3 (VAD4, Darth Vader) (Indirect mention only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 37 (LEI1, The Rescue of Princess Leia)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 53 (DEA1, Death Star - Docking Bay 327) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia