- "While you were gone, kidnappers grabbed Doctor Tarnis."
- ―Agent Galen
In 3643 BBY, near the end of the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, the undercover Sith Lord Tarnis arranged for the kidnapping of his Republic scientist alter ego Eli Tarnis by the Black Sun criminal syndicate. With Tarnis's inside information, the criminal Zeer and his team infiltrated the Senate Building on the Republic capital of Coruscant and retrieved the doctor in the heavily-guarded structure. While Zeer and his men served as a distraction by barricading themselves in Docking Bay 84 of the nearby Coruscant Spaceport, Tarnis then escaped to the territory of his allies in the paramilitary Justicars' Brigade and continued his plans to acquire the Planet Prison superweapon.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
- "Tarnis! We risked everything for you. Stealing those data files, faking your kidnapping… this is how you repay us?"
"You were compensated with enough weapons and armor to make Black Sun invincible."
- ―Salarr and Tarnis, on Black Sun's aid to the Sith
In 3643 BBY, during the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, the Jedi Council sensed a disturbance in the Force on the Republic capital of Coruscant and dispatched the Jedi Master Bela Kiwiiks and her Padawan, Kira Carsen, to investigate. Kiwiiks was able to confirm the dark presence on the capital, though she was unaware that its source was in fact the Sith Lord Tarnis, who was posing as a Republic scientist named Eli Tarnis on the Republic superweapon initiative. Sensing that his position was compromised, Tarnis contacted the Migrant Merchants' Guild and Black Sun criminal syndicates, and arranged for the theft of the design files for Tarnis's project, the Planet Prison superweapon, in order to draw potential suspicion away from himself.
When a young Jedi Knight, the former apprentice of Jedi Master Orgus Din, was sent to retrieve the files from the criminals in the Old Galactic Market region, Tarnis contacted Black Sun's leader, Salarr. In exchange for Imperial weapons and technology, Tarnis requested that Black Sun conduct his "kidnapping" so that he could escape the Senate Building without suspicion and continue with his plans to acquire the Planet Prison.
The kidnapping[edit | edit source]
- "This is the most secure building on Coruscant. It's full of guards."
"Guards never stood a chance. Whoever the kidnappers are, they knew right where to hit us."
- ―The Jedi Knight and Galen
With inside information supplied by Tarnis, a team of Black Sun criminals under the leadership of the Human Zeer infiltrated the Senate Building, incapacitating the Coruscant Security Force officers and Republic Military personnel guarding the building, and Tarnis was quickly extracted by Zeer's team before alarms were raised.
However, the Security forces and agents of the Republic Strategic Information Service, the Republic's intelligence agency, quickly realized that Tarnis was missing. SIS Agent Galen immediately ordered Kira Carsen to lead a team of Coruscant Security officers to the nearby Coruscant Spaceport in pursuit of the kidnappers.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- "Kira led a security team in pursuit, but the kidnappers split up during the chase—hang on. Signal coming in…"
"Agent Galen! I've got these creeps pinned down—but they won't surrender!"
- ―Agent Galen receives Carsen's message
Tarnis left Zeer's group at the Senate Plaza and took an air taxi to Black Sun territory as planned, though he diverted his taxi to Justicar territory, a region of Coruscant under the control of the Imperial-friendly paramilitary Justicars' Brigade, where he continued his plans to acquire the Planet Prison itself. Zeer and his team barricaded themselves in Docking Bay 84 of the spaceport as a distraction, though Carsen and the CSF officers eventually broke the criminals' lines with the aid of the Jedi Knight who had been sent to retrieve the stolen design files. The Knight was later sent on a mission to rescue Tarnis from Black Sun territory, though Tarnis's deception and true identity was revealed during the rescue attempt.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Doctor Tarnis's kidnapping is first mentioned in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a video game released by BioWare and LucasArts in 2011, at the end of the Jedi Knight class mission "Stolen Secrets." The subsequent mission, "Kidnapped," deals with the pursuit of Tarnis's captors, but it is not revealed until the following mission, "The Rescue," that Tarnis himself orchestrated the kidnapping.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First mentioned)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Stolen Secrets" on Coruscant
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Kidnapped!" on Coruscant
- Star Wars: The Old Republic about ten to twelve years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which is dated to 3653 BBY by Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia. The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2 takes place ten years after the treaty, one week after the mission to Nar Shaddaa, and around the time of the SpecForce Incident. Since the mission and the incident are respectively part of Act I of the Jedi Knight and Republic Trooper's storylines, and the Trooper's Act I occurs concurrent to Act I of the Smuggler storyline, the general events of Act I for all classes can be assumed to occur in 3643 BBY. The Prologue for each class immediately precedes Act I, and Act III for all classes begins with the start of the Galactic War, which Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia places around 3640 BBY. Assuming that in-universe chronology of the Star Wars: The Old Republic events roughly aligns with the release of story content in real-life as with , the Act III Epilogue must take place near the end of 3640 BBY since it was the chronologically latest story of the The Old Republic base game, which was released toward the end of 2011. Therefore, assuming that The Old Republic takes place over the course of three years per the former of the two aforementioned swtor.com posts, Act I takes place near the end of 3643 BBY. places
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Senate Tower"
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Enemy Force" on Tython
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Weapon of the Jedi" on Tython
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Rescue" on Coruscant