- "You are most gallant, citizen. What is your name again? I want to name my new kittle in your honor."
- ―A kittle owner, to a spacer
The kittle (plural: kittles) was a small species of felines kept as personal companions or house pets. They were regarded as cute, and had a cat-like growl. Through the process of bioengineering, beast masters were able to incubate kittles by using their DNA.
Biology and appearance[edit | edit source]
- "I love animals, I really do. Why, the times I've diverted my speeder to avoid hitting some harmless eopie or cute little kittle—even though it delays my courier mission, mind you, and my employers really don't like delay—well, I admit, I'm a softie."
- ―An unidentified Corellian
Kittles were a species of quadrupedal felines notable for their cuteness, and cat-like growl. They had wrinkly skin which could come in a variety of different hues, including shades of red, yellow and blue. The mammalian vertebrates also had black eyes, short stubby ears, and a long tail. Though kept as pets, they were also known to run wild. When under attack, kittles would bite and claw back to defend themselves.
History[edit | edit source]
- "My precious little kittle—she liked to be called Woopywoopums—was snatched by a horrible predator while slithering playfully in my yard. Please avenge my angel for me."
- ―A kittle owner
Through the use of their DNA, kittles could be incubated and trained by beast masters as personal companions or house pets. During the time of the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Alliance to Restore the Republic, a predator snatched a kittle named Woopywoopums while she was slithering playfully in her owner's yard. Saddened by the loss of their pet, the owner sought to hire a spacer to eliminate a lair of beasts believed to be responsible for the kittle's demise.
One spacer agreed to eliminate the lair, and for their part in avenging the kittle, the pet owner wished to name their new kittle in honor of the gallant citizen.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
|Kittle vocalization (info · help)|
|The growl of a kittle (Star Wars Galaxies)|
Kittles were first mentioned in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. Early in the game's lifespan, dynamically spawned non-player characters offered a variety of simple missions. In this case, NPCs could offer a destroy mission titled "Avenge Woopywoopums," the storyline of which featured a kittle. The mission required the player to destroy creatures at an assigned waypoint in exchange for a credit reward. A mission terminal quest titled "Take Hard Line Against Animals" also mentioned a kittle. A kittle was first pictured in the 2004 strategy book Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed: Prima Official Game Guide, and again in the 2005 Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide.
However, kittles were not actually included in Star Wars Galaxies until the release of Chapter 7: A Collection of Heroes, on November 1, 2007. The update introduced collections, a type of system which would track discoveries and kills, and award the player with badges and/or other types of rewards for completion. One such collection, titled "Rodent Eradicator," would award the player with a badge and rare kittle DNA once completed. The DNA could then be incubated by beast masters, allowing for kittles to be created as pets. According to the game's directory tree files and source data, there were to be at least two other separate breeds of kittle known as the forest kittle and grassland kittle, however neither of these were known to appear on the live servers.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Online Adventures (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed: Prima Official Game Guide (First pictured)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide (Picture only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Online Adventures—Collection: "Rodent Eradicator"
- Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided—Mission Terminal: "Take Hard Line Against Animals" on Corellia
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided—Mission NPC: "Avenge Woopywoopums"
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided directory tree files and source data