- "I quit drinking Kowakian rum, because even though it tastes like the sweet, syrupy glow of pure liquid stardust, it invokes the kind of hangover that makes you feel as if you've been romanced by an irascible rancor. It is the kind of hangover that makes you plead for death while hiding under the darkness of your bedcovers or even under the bed itself."
- ―Sinjir Rath Velus, to Jas Emari
Kowakian rum was a type of rum with a sweet and syrupy taste that could be consumed by humans. Imbibing the beverage could result in an unpleasant hangover after drinking due to its alcoholic content. Former Imperial loyalty officer Sinjir Rath Velus drank Kowakian rum on some occasions, but he later stopped due to its harsh effects.
- "I'm just surprised you're drinking this and not, say, Kowakian rum or, I don't know, hull stripper."
- ―Slicer Conder Kyl, to ex-Imperial loyalty officer Sinjir Rath Velus
Kowakian rum was a type of rum that could be consumed by humans. The rum possessed a sweet and syrupy taste, and had alcoholic content. Its intoxicating properties could cause an extremely unpleasant hangover that the former Imperial loyalty officer Sinjir Rath Velus felt was similar to encountering an angry rancor, a reptilian creature native to the planet Dathomir. The beverage was served in bars and could be stored in bottles. Kowakian rum shared its name with Kowakian monkey-lizards, a species from the Outer Rim planet Kowak.
- "Kind old Liswarr'arindoo, who couldn't have a cub of her own, exchanged a bottle of Kowakian rum for my puny cracked egg, and saved me and suckled me and raised me like a daughter in her clan."
- ―Trandoshan liberator Doshanalawook, to her brother Bossk'wassak'Cradossk
At some point during the Republic Era, the Wookiee Liswarr'arindoo traded a bottle of Kowakian rum to the Trandoshan Cradossk for the cracked egg of his daughter, Doshanalawook. Many years later, in 3 ABY, Doshanalawook met her brother Bossk'wassak'Cradossk and recounted to him how the trade had resulted in her upbringing under Liswarr'arindoo's care.
While at a Junari Point bar on the Core Worlds planet Chandrila in 5 ABY, the slicer Conder Kyl asked his partner, Sinjir Rath Velus, why he was drinking the brewed drink caf in lieu of Kowakian rum or the alcoholic beverage hull stripper. By some point prior to the Battle of Jakku, which took place in the same year, Velus told the bounty hunter Jas Emari that he had quit drinking Kowakian rum because of the terrible hangovers it initiated.
Behind the scenes
- "Tooth and Claw"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Mentioned only)
- From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (First mentioned, simultaneous with Aftermath: Life Debt audiobook)
- Aftermath: Life Debt audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- "Tooth and Claw"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
- "Death Trap" establishes that Bossk'wassak'Cradossk lived during the Republic Era. "Tooth and Claw" notes he and his sister Doshanalawook came from the same clutch, meaning their father Cradossk's trade for Kowakian rum must have occurred during this timeframe.
- "Tooth and Claw" occurs concurrently with the events of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in 3 ABY.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY and further dates Shara Bey and Kes Dameron's move to Yavin 4 in 5 ABY. The move is placed six months after the Battle of Endor by Before the Awakening. Since Aftermath: Life Debt is set just after Shadow Fall, which takes place around six months after the battle, the events of Life Debt must also occur in 5 ABY, around six months after the Battle of Endor.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas