- "The lush forests of Krant are beautiful from the cockpit of an X-wing. They stretch on for miles. But it's quite a different thing to be tramping through them on foot. That's why I'm a pilot, lads."
- ―Wedge Antilles
Krant was a wilderness planet in the Bothan sector. It saw action from the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War, and the Jedi Master Echuu Shen-Jon hid on Krant during decades until Princess Leia Organa appeared on the planet, searching for the Bothan agent Utric Sandov.
Krant was characterized by temperate forests and cliffs. The trees of Krant were a spectacular multi-colored variety, which glowed in the diffuse sunsets and shed their enormous leaves in two seasonal cycles. The predators of Krant were few and far between, leaving a large ecological niche in which herbivores and insects thrive. The Krantian songbirds filled the night sky with their calls and melodies, making for a bucolic, if noisy, setting for the newly-arrived colonists.
Its two major cities, Peche and Theenes, were agricultural in nature. Le'Roche, another city, was on an island. Krant had two moons and numerous orbiting asteroids that were caught in its gravity well. One of the main moons, Aereen, was mineral-rich. By 6 ABY, one of the asteroids, Geddes, had been terraformed and renamed Hanoon.
Humans and Bothans colonized the world shortly before the Clone Wars, and Wookiees established a colony there which the Confederacy General Sev'rance Tann destroyed as she set up a fortress on Krant in 22 BBY. The surviving Wookiees helped Echuu Shen-Jon destroy Tann's fortress. Shen-Jon felt he gave into the dark side when he killed Tann, and exiled himself on Krant.
Years later Krant became a major rendezvous point for Bothan spies and Rebels during the Galactic Civil War. It was scouted several times by the Galactic Empire as a possible base, endangering the Rebel operations there. Moff Yittreas was placed in charge of Krant, and became known as the Butcher of Krant, after killing thousands of Krantians on charges of political treason. After the Battle of Yavin, the Empire took over the Alliance's Ghost Base, which was subsequently liberated, along with Peche and Theenes, by an Alliance strike force led by Shen-Jon and Leia Organa—whose ship, the Cretacian, had crashed on the planet previously. Organa then completed her mission, meeting with the Bothan spy Utric Sandov.
Behind the scenesEdit
Krant was first mentioned in the strategy guide for the 2001 video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, released a week before the game itself. The game's Databank claims Krant is found 'in the center of Both system', a system of the Mid Rim. However all seven planets of that system are known (Yeltha, Taboth, Bothawui, Golm, Ganash, Hoppawui and Jentawui) and none of them is called Krant (unless we take it as Krant being an alternate name for Golm).
To make matters more complex, a mission briefing of the game states that Krant is in the Outer Rim but this is discarded as a mistake since it contradicts the both previous sources; the Bothan Sector is in the Mid Rim. The 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas established that Krant belongs to the Krant system, located in the Bothan sector.
During a Echuu Shen-Jon campaign mission in the 2002 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns, Anakin Skywalker and Palpatine can be seen by a Sith Temple on Krant, an Easter Egg for the game, but this was not at the time Anakin was falling to the dark side, reducing this to a non-canonical easter egg. The scene is hidden in a corner of the map.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Republic Commando: True Colors (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (First mentioned)
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds DataBank
- ↑ The Essential Atlas places the Battle of New Geddes in 6 ABY.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology places the Decimator campaign in 22 BBY.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology places Organa's mission to Krant between 0.5 ABY and 2 ABY.