- "Of course. I've been to Tatooine, actually, and bagged a krayt dragon there. Its pearls paid for the upgrades on the Jewel."
- ―Nakari Kelen
Krayt dragons were large, carnivorous reptiles that hailed from Tatooine, a desert planet in the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories. They came in two subspecies and, despite their fierceness, were hunted for the precious pearls found in their bodies.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Krayt dragons were giant carnivorous reptiles that came in two subspecies: the smaller and more common canyon krayt, and the larger greater krayt. Due to their large size and ferocity, they were the apex predators of Tatooine. Their bodies produced krayt venom, which helped the dragons as an acid in pre-digestion of their food.
Behind the scenesEdit
Although a Krayt dragon's skeleton appeared in the 1977 movie Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, living specimens made their first appearance in Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, which was released in 2001, but was not seen in canon until Disney Interactive's mobile strategy game Star Wars: Commander, which was released on August 21, 2014 for iOS devices. In celebration of the game's second anniversary, players were awarded five Krayt dragon gift units, along with five Droideka Oppressors and five Droideka Sentinels.
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as krayt dragon)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Forces of Destiny: Tales of Hope & Courage