- "I've been to Tatooine, actually, and bagged a krayt dragon there. Its pearls paid for the upgrades on the Jewel."
- ―Nakari Kelen, to Luke Skywalker
Krayt dragon pearls were concretions that could be found in the bellies of krayt dragons, a species of large creatures that could be found on the desert world of Tatooine. Those pearls were exceedingly rare and valuable. The former senator Johhar Kessen, a notorious big game hunter, regarded a polished krayt dragon pearl paperweight as the ultimate trophy on Tatooine. In 9 ABY,[source?] a group of Tusken Raiders found a pearl in the corpse of a greater krayt dragon.
Krayt dragons had a very long lifespan, and during the course of their life, would ingest stones to assist in digestion. The corrosive digestive fluid would break down and eventually dissolve the rocks. Rarely, a stone would contain a kyber crystal that would remain in a beast's gut being refined over the life of the dragon until it formed a smooth, small sphere. Because the pearls were formed from kyber, they could be used in lightsabers. A lightsaber equipped with one of these pearls emitted a very powerful and destructive blade that emitted a howling sound when ignited.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Heir to the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Commander (First mentioned)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 9: The Marshal" (First appearance)