Krayt dragon pearls were lustrous, colored stones found in the last chamber of the gizzard of krayt dragons. The stones were used to help crush food eaten by them, and over time, they became rounded because of how much they moved around. They could be found in colors such as blue, green, red, white and black. Due to a refractive quality peculiar to the pearl, they could be used in a lightsaber if properly cleaned, prepared and installed, though it was a difficult task. The pearls were seen as exceptionally valuable by the public (easily worth upwards of a hundred thousand credits each), as well as proof a person had killed a krayt dragon (to Tusken Raiders, a sign of bravery).
An illustrious owner of one of these famous pearls was Revan, who got it in exchange for helping Komad Fortuna at killing an enormous canyon krayt that was nesting inside a cave near Anchorhead. Revan either gave it to the Tusken Raiders, who recognized him as a warrior and allowed him to learn their tradition, or kept it for his lightsaber, or to sell for credits.
Prior to his death, Calo Nord intended to acquire a Krayt Dragon pearl on Tatooine, but, due to the Sith quarantine of Taris, he was forced to stay and work for Davik. The pearls were also sought by Bastila Shan's father, who planned on using the credits to treat his wife's terminal illness. Unfortunately, Mr. Shan was killed at the krayt's claws, leaving only his data holocron behind.
"Shady" Pers, a smuggler from Kashyyyk, received a krayt pearl the size of a human head from a delivery from Tatooine. Although it could easily bring him a hundred thousand credits, the pearl was soon confiscated from Pers by an ISB agent.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 10: Outlander, Part 4
- The Paradise Snare (Mentioned only)
- The Hutt Gambit
- Rebel Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Rebel Force: Target (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Champions of the Force (Dark Side scenario campaign)
- "Pearls in the Sand"—Star Wars Insider 74
- Skin Deep: The Fat Dancer's Tale
- Darksaber (First appearance)
- Fate of the Jedi: Allies (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Adversaries
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Champions of the Force (Card: Krayt Pearl)
- Star Wars Fandex Deluxe Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook