Ky Narec was a male human Jedi Knight who served as Asajj Ventress's Jedi Master before his death. He was killed during a battle with Weequay raiders, causing Asajj great distress and starting her on her path to the dark side.
A human male, Ky Narec became a member of the Jedi Order some time before the galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars broke out. Soon after arriving at the Jedi Temple he was assigned to the Heliost Clan, and trained under Master Tera Sinube in lightsaber combat. He took the initiate trials around the same time as Qui-Gon Jinn (whom he was roughly the same age as), and was selected as a Padawan learner to Master Mana. Narec had originally hoped to be selected as the apprentice to Dooku. During his time in the Jedi Temple, Narec liked to feed the song sparrows and watch them soaring around the Great Tree at the training ground.
After becoming a Jedi Knight, Narec became stranded on the planet Rattatak and, during one encounter with Weequay raiders, witnessed a young Force-sensitive Dathomirian girl named Asajj Ventress use the Force to throw one of the raiders. Narec took the five-year-old Ventress under his wing, training the girl in the ways of the Jedi and raising her.
The two Jedi, now Master and apprentice, remained on Rattatak for the next ten years, aiding its people and being regarded as heroes by most. However, when the Vollick warlord Osika Kirske decided to capture Ky's Padawan to make her a gladiator in his arena, he ordered Narec's death.
During another attack by Weequay raiders, Narec was defeated and killed by a single raider, shot in the back with a sniper rifle and subsequently died in Ventress's arms. Enraged by her Master's death, Ventress took Narec's lightsaber and struck down the sniper in a fit of rage, becoming the first step in her path to the dark side.
Following his death, Ventress cremated his body.
Ventress' new master, Dooku, who had left the Jedi and become a Sith Lord, manipulated Ventress into believing that the Jedi Order was responsible for leaving Narec stranded on Rattatak, thereby deepening her hatred for the Jedi.
Ventress later learned, while in her early apprenticeship to Dooku before the Clone Wars, that Narec had been the one who killed Hal'Sted, Ventress' slave owner, just before beginning her Jedi training. Narec's voice remained with Ventress after his death, in an attempt to divert her from walking further down the path of the dark side of the Force. However, Ventress silenced his voice when she realized that Narec killed Hal'Sted, and not the Weequay priates. Her master, Dooku, went on to tell Ventress that at her age at that point she was not perceptive enough to be able to differentiate differences in blaster bolts and lightsaber wounds caused by deflecting blaster shots.
Behind the scenesEdit
Ky Narec's first appearance in canon was in a flashback in the twelfth episode of the third season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series, "Nightsisters." He was later mentioned with slightly more information given about him in the novel Dark Disciple, which was adapted from eight unaired episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Narec's first appearance in any piece of Star Wars media was in the Star Wars Legends comic Republic 60: Hate and Fear, in which he appeared in a flashback.
- Dooku: Jedi Lost (Voice only)
- Dooku: Jedi Lost script (Voice only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters" (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- "Kindred Spirits"—Star Wars Insider 159 (Mentioned only)
- Dark Disciple (Mentioned only)
- Dark Disciple audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy (Indirect mention only)
- Rise of the Separatists
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Master & Apprentice gives the age of Obi-Wan Kenobi as seventeen years old, while establishes that Kenobi was born fifty-seven years before the Battle of Yavin, which is placed in 0 BBY by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. Kenobi's birth year can therefore be dated to 57 BBY, placing Master & Apprentice in 40 BBY. Qui-Gon Jinn is stated to be forty years old during Master & Apprentice, meaning he was born in 80 BBY. The script of Dooku: Jedi Lost states that members of Jedi Initiate Clans are the same age, and as Ky Narec is in the same clan as Qui-Gon, it can be deduced that he was also born in 80 BBY.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Dooku: Jedi Lost
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Dark Disciple
- ↑ Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ Republic 60: Hate and Fear