Kylo Ren's lightsaber was a crossguard lightsaber constructed sometime before or during the year 34 ABY by Kylo Ren, Supreme Leader of the First Order and master of the Knights of Ren. The lightsaber, based on an ancient design dating back to the Great Scourge of Malachor, contained a cracked Kyber crystal, requiring it to have lateral vents on either side of the handle in order to divert the extra heat generated by the crystal.
During the cold war, Ren used the lightsaber to strike down Lor San Tekka, a member of the Church of the Force. When his father, Han Solo beseeched him to leave the First Order, Ren ignited the crossguard lightsaber through Solo's torso in an act of patricide. He later dueled the former stormtrooper known as Finn, and the Force-sensitive scavenger Rey, though he lost to the latter.
After recovering from his defeat on Starkiller Base, Ren assassinated his dark side master, Supreme Leader Snoke, and fought alongside Rey against the Elite Praetorian Guard. He killed several guards using his crossguard lightsaber before taking control of the First Order as Snoke's successor. On Crait, he was confronted by his uncle and former mentor, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, and attempted to strike him down in battle. However, Ren's lightsaber was ineffective against his opponent as Skywalker had only projected his appearance on Crait whereas his physical form was still on Ahch-To.
Kylo Ren's crossguard lightsaber was modeled on weapons that were used in the Great Scourge of Malachor, an event that occurred thousands of years before the New Republic Era. Despite its ancient design, Ren's lightsaber contained modern components within it. It was built around a dangerously flawed Kyber crystal; therefore, the lightsaber relied on its lateral vents to prevent the cracked crystal from overloading. Its focusing crystal activators served to split the lightsaber's red plasma stream into three channels, creating the crossguard blades, or quillons, which appeared after the ignition of the main blade. The lateral vents, from which the quillons emerged, diverted the extra heat produced by the crystal to either side of the hilt, giving the crossguard lightsaber an unstable and serrated appearance.
- "I'm being torn apart. I want to be free of this pain. I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me?"
- ―Kylo Ren and Han Solo
The Master of the Knights of Ren, Kylo Ren wielded a crossguard lightsaber prior to his ascension as Supreme Leader of the First Order. Whereas he once used a standard lightsaber during his time as Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's Padawan, Ren's crossguard lightsaber was built sometime before or during the year 34 ABY. It would serve as his weapon throughout his time as the dark apprentice of Supreme Leader Snoke, as well as afterward as Snoke's successor.
During her time on Takodana, the Scavenger Rey discovered Luke Skywalker's old lightsaber, that once belonged to Ren's grandfather Anakin Skywalker, in Maz Kanata's castle, where she had a Force vision. During the vision, she saw Ren using his lightsaber to cut down a clan leader.
Ren used his lightsaber again during the Battle of Starkiller Base. First, on a interrogation chair, when he had another a rage-induced temper tantrum, after fidning out that Rey had escaped custody.
He also used it on his own father, Han Solo. It later crossed blades with the Skywalker lightsaber. Although he defeated and injured the former stormtrooper Finn in a brief duel, he was in turn defeated by Rey, who successfully channeled the Force within herself to fight back, striking Ren's lightsaber and knocking it from his hand.
Despite the weapon being damaged, Ren repaired the weapon, adding a sleeker black casing to it. While in the presence of Snoke's Elite Praetorian Guards, the lightsaber came into the possession of Rey, who summoned it from Ren's side in an attempt to fight Snoke and his bodyguards. In spite of her efforts, Rey was telekinetically disarmed by Snoke, who commanded his apprentice to kill the aspiring Jedi. Ren used the moment as an opportunity to assassinate Snoke by cutting him in half with the Skywalker lightsaber. Activating his own lightsaber, Kylo Ren fought alongside Rey against the Praetorians, all of whom perished while attempting to avenge their slain leader.
After the battle in Snoke's throne room, Ren assumed the title of Supreme Leader and brought the forces of the First Order to the planet Crait, where he attempted to fight his uncle Luke Skywalker, only to discover that he was fighting a Force projection of the Jedi Master. As a result, the Resistance was able to escape before Ren could destroy them.
Behind the scenesEdit
Kylo Ren's lightsaber first appeared in Star Wars canon in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. The introduction of the lightsaber was well-publicized in the media, including on The Colbert Report and @Midnight on Comedy Central. The lightsaber was also the subject of a number of pieces of fan art released in the days after the films first teaser trailer premiered.
- 5-Minute Star Wars Villain Stories
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Children from Tehar" (Mentioned only)
- "Pest Control"—Star Wars Adventures 3
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny—Rey (Appears through imagination)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Graphic Novel Adaptation
- The Force Awakens, Part I
- The Force Awakens, Part II
- The Force Awakens, Part IV
- The Force Awakens, Part V
- The Force Awakens, Part VI
- The Force Awakens: Rey's Story
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game (Picture only)
- Captain Phasma, Part I
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi: Rey's Journey (Picture only)
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 5
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 6
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens to 34 ABY. Considering Ren had constructed his lightsaber by then, he must have built it in that year or sometime prior.
- ↑ The Force Awakens: Rey's Story
- ↑ Dickens, Donna (December 1, 2014). 13 Stunning Pieces of 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Fan Art. HitFix. Retrieved on December 2, 2014.