- "He answers to 'Leebo,' when he bothers to answer at all. He thinks he's funny."
- ―Dash Rendar
Being a basic issue of LE repair droid, Leebo worked in Esseles spaceport as a safety standards inspector. At one time, an unknown transport vessel took off while being checked by the droid, making Leebo an unwilling stowaway. From that moment forward, LE-BO2D9 began to work as a ship mechanic, going from one owner to another throughout the coming years. He served multiple masters and each of them updated his abilities and skills, allowing Leebo to do more and more. Finally, he came to the hands of Corellian pilot and mercenary, Dash Rendar. Dash acquired the droid as payment from a Rodian comedian and Dash seemed to believe his new possession acquired his former master's dry sense of humor. Leebo accompanied Dash during his trip to Hoth, piloting his light freighter, Outrider, away from Echo Base and into the Hoth asteroid field following the Imperial attack. He later aided Dash during his escapades on Ord Mantell, Gall, on bodyguard mission to protect Luke Skywalker given by Princess Leia and assault on Imperial freighter, Suprosa, always guarding Outrider while offering Dash advice during his travels. He also piloted the ship above Coruscant at the Battle of Falleen's Fist, while Rendar was manning the gun turret. At the end of the dogfight, Rendar's Outrider apparently exploded after being hit by a huge piece of space debris.
Leebo's fate following the battle is unknown, but, as Rendar faked his death by making the freighter leap into hyperspace just before the explosion, it is most possible the droid survived, as he was still aboard the ship at the time of 'collision'.
- "We'll never get paid if you stay here all day!"
Skills and abilities
Leebo often carried a bag with necessary tools with him. Equipped with specialized sensors, holoprojector, single channel long range comlink and computer interface, he was skilled mechanic and pilot. His programming, being updated by each and every owner, was far more sophisticated than the one installed on stock LE repair droid.
He also (given to the fact he had only few - if any - memory wipes throughout his life) developed personality, along with specific sense of humor. It is possible that this personality allowed him to bypass his programming, considering his several abilities usual repair droids don't have, especially the ability to open fire upon enemies - other droids or even sentient beings. This leaves one to wonder if one of his former masters had him for a shadier purpose.
Behind the scenes
Leebo, so as the LE series repair droids in general, was a character developed especially for Shadows of the Empire multimedia project and was named after Michael "Lebo" Levine who worked at LucasArts and on the Shadows of the Empire video game.[source?]
- Shadow Games
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Shadow Syndicate (Light Side and Dark Side scenario campaigns)
- Shadows of the Empire game
- Shadows of the Empire novel (First appearance)
- Shadows of the Empire comic
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire toy line
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- "Casting Shadows"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 7
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 33 (HOT15, Escape of the Rebels)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 124 (LEE1-2, Leebo (LE-BO2D9))
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 1
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Shadow Syndicate (Card: Leebo)