Laser weapons operated in a similar fashion as blasters. They were usually mounted on starfighters, freighters, and other small spaceships; larger warships instead used turbolasers, which provided even more destructive power, but required cumbersome generators and other equipment. Laser cannons were sometimes mounted in turreted pairs, while ships such as Trade Federation Lucrehulk-class battleships and the Millennium Falcon were equipped with quad laser cannon turrets.
Opirus Personal Lasers manufactured laser-engraving mechanisms.
Behind the scenes
The real-world term laser originated as an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. It is the name for the device itself, not the beam it emits.
Lasers in Star Wars bear few similarities to those in real life: plasma is part of the beam's composition, and beams can interact with one another and are visible in vacuum. They explode on contact with most surfaces and sometimes with a deflector shield as well; real lasers do not cause explosions unless they heat a flammable substance to a high temperature.
As it is doubtful that lasers in Star Wars share the same principles of generation or fundamental nature as real-world lasers, the in-universe term may be a shorthand way of saying "laser-induced plasma weapon" or something similar. That is, so-called laser guns, laser cannons, and the like may operate like other blasters, but use a laser rather than a superconductor or other medium to superheat the blaster gas into plasma or energize it into charged particles.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter
- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
- Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo
- Rogue Planet
- Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: The Followers
- Outbound Flight
- The Approaching Storm
- The Approaching Storm audiobook
- "Mist Encounter"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 7 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Scoundrel's Luck
- "Enemies for Life"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4
- "Wind Raiders of Taloraan"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 10
- Imperial Double-Cross
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- "Firepower"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8
- "The Last Hand"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 13
- "Crimson Bounty"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 14
- The Empire Strikes Back: A Storybook
- "Slaying Dragons"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 9
- "Missed Chance"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 7
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- "The Saga Begins"—The DarkStryder Campaign
- "Counterstrike"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8
- "Retreat from Coruscant"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 7
- X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar
- LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace (Non-canonical appearance)