- "Who do you work for? On the last job you gave me, that merchant implied you're with the Imperial Security Bureau."
"Well, friend, assuming I work for the ISB, I'm obviously covert. Therefore, I'd be silly to admit it. Likewise, you'd be silly to press the issue—assuming I work for the ISB."
- ―A spacer and Leb Slesher
Leb Slesher was a Human male who worked as a covert agent for the Imperial Security Bureau during the time of the Galactic Civil War. Following the Battle of Yavin, Slesher worked undercover at the Kaadara cantina on Naboo. Through the use of forged evidence and the enforcement of obscure Nabooian regulations, the corrupt Imperial agent used his position of power to extort payments from legitimate local merchants.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Forged Evidence[edit | edit source]
- "Have you had the fried thakitillo appetizer at the bar? Delicious.—Oh, forgive me. I'm Leb Slesher, expediter of merchant relations. Are you interested in a job, perhaps? I have evidence that seemingly shows a certain local merchant receiving smuggled goods. This horrible mistake can only be resolved with extensive bureaucratic processing. Please meet the merchant at our wilderness rendezvous, free of prying eyes, and secure the processing fee."
"Why is it a mistake? Is the evidence forged?"
"Of course the evidence is forged, but it's a very good forgery. Imagine how some ignorant customs official would react—unless I intercede to explain matters. This calls for fair recompense for my effort. Speaking of effort, are you willing to do this job?"
- ―Leb Slesher and a spacer
By the time following the Battle of Yavin in 0 BBY, a Human male by the name of Leb Slesher worked undercover as an Imperial Security Bureau agent in the small oceanside city of Kaadara on the lush Mid Rim world of Naboo. During his time there, Slesher frequented the local cantina, where he adopted the persona of "expediter of merchant relations."
A corrupt agent of the Galactic Empire, Slesher used his position of power to extort payments from legitimate local merchants. Such was the case with Phinta Lianovi, a bussinessperson who fell victim to a false accusation of being a criminal who accepted smuggled goods. However, the evidence used to levy this accusation was forged, and while Slesher was aware of this fact, he used the opportunity to extract a processing fee from the innocent merchant in order to resolve the "mistake," which he claimed required "extensive bureaucratic processing." Instead of meeting Lianovi personally, Slesher asked an underling to secure the processing fee at their wilderness rendezvous, free from prying eyes. Slesher, aware of the risks, warned his underling to look out for troublemakers, as he claimed some locals would violently object to these sort of transactions. Slesher's underling, a spacer who was unaware of his allegiance to the ISB, agreed to secure the payment from Lianovi. Upon reaching the rendezvous point, the spacer was violently attacked by four commoners who attempted to interfere with the transaction, much as Slesher anticipated. The spacer, forced to defend themselves, eliminated them. Lianovi, left with no other option, handed over the processing fee in the form of a datadisc. However, in the process of doing so, the bussinessperson urged the spacer to tell Slesher not to file the report. Lianovi also implied that the spacer's boss was affiliated with the ISB, and that someone had been doctoring images to make legitimate merchants look like smugglers. Despite this revelation, the spacer returned to the cantina in Kaadara to deliver Lianovi's fee. Slesher commended his underling for completing the assignment, and recommended that they try some of the Zadarian brandy at the bar before looking him up for another assignment.
The Restaurateur[edit | edit source]
- "Ah, hello again. I have a new job for you. It relates to Naboo Commercial Code regulation 142.74.A-6502.4.16/3 Section 453 Paragraph 2. Too many innocent merchants seem unaware of this regulation, which clearly specifies military discounts for Imperial officers. I have documented a certain restaurateur's refusal to honor this discount. I can remedy the problem for a fee, which you may collect at the agreed rendezvous in the wilderness."
- ―Leb Slesher, to a spacer
Soon enough, Slesher found himself involved in another ploy to extract payment from a local Naboo merchant. Naboo Commercial Code regulation 142.74.A-6502.4.16/3 Section 453 Paragraph 2 specified that Imperial officers were eligible to receive military discounts. However, many merchants were unaware of this obscure regulation, a fact which Slesher used to his advantage. One particular restaurateur, a merchant named Cornevero Dawlton, was documented by Slesher to have refused to honor this discount. In order to remedy the problem in exchange for a fee, Slesher once again contracted his underling to collect payment from the merchant at the agreed upon rendezvous in the wilderness. Slesher's underling, who was now suspicious of his true affiliation, asked him who he actually worked for, as Lianovi suggested he was an agent of the ISB. Coyly, Slesher neither confirmed nor denied this allegation, whilst vaguely threatening the spacer not to press the issue any further. With that, the spacer agreed to carry out Slesher's assignment. Before embarking to the specific coordinates, Slesher warned his underling to watch out for local wildlife, as they could prove hazardous. During their journey to meet Dawlton, the spacer was attacked by a peko-peko, which was subsequently killed. When the spacer finally located Dawlton, the merchant expressed surprise that Slesher did not come personally, as Dawlton had prepared for him a dish of stuffed nuna as an expression of goodwill. Nevertheless, Dawlton submitted to the spacer Lesher's payment, which Dawlton candidly referred to as a "bribe." With the payment received, the spacer once again returned to Kaadara to deliver the fee to Slesher.
Romantic Gesture[edit | edit source]
- "A good day to you. Are you enjoying our fair city? If you're looking to make a few credits, I believe I can oblige you. Leb Slesher is an official who really knows how to enjoy himself. I want to help him have a good time; in fact, I know a lady he'd really like. I was hoping you'd escort her into town so I can arrange an introduction. Will you do it?"
"Why do you care if this Slesher has a good time?"
"Well, Slesher must be important—after all, so many important people come to see him. With all his carousing, he must have trouble getting any work done. My friend might help him keep track of his work. Anyway, are you interested in this escort job?"
- ―Tamvar Senzen and a spacer
Meanwhile, at the Kaadara hotel, a man named Tamvar Senzen strived to curry favor with Leb Slesher, or to perhaps learn more about him, as he viewed Slesher as an important individual who caroused with many people. To help Slesher have a "good time," Senzen planned to introduce him to a woman named Shandara. The woman, however, was in fact a Rebel Alliance scout. Senzen believed she would be able to help Slesher "keep track of his work." Whether this was an earnest gesture, or a means by which to spy on Slesher, was unclear. Regardless, Senzen believed Shandara to be a terrific woman, and therefore enlisted the help of a passerby to locate the woman and escort her safely back to the hotel, so that he could arrange a chance meeting between her and the Imperial agent.
Personality and traits[edit | edit source]
- "Did you return here for some of that delightful Garwillian champagne at the bar? I don't blame you. But please, get back to work soon, eh?"
- ―Leb Slesher, to a spacer
Leb Slesher had fair skin, brown hair, and green-colored eyes. As an ISB agent, Slesher worked undercover as an expediter of merchant relations. However, he used his position as a means by which to enrich himself and to indulge in various alcoholic beverages and exquisite foods at the local cantina. He had no qualms with using forged evidence and obscure commerce regulations to extract fees and bribes from legitimate Naboo merchants. Slesher enjoyed various types of beverages at the Kaadara cantina, and recommended to his underling to try such drinks as spiced paricha, Merenzane Gold, Rodian ale, Zadarian brandy, and Garwillian champagne. He also loved food, and recommended trying the fried thakitillo, Vagnerian canapés, zwil cakes, Lobster Bisellian, and Corellian air cakes sold at the bar.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Leb Slesher was a non-player character in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. Players who performed a series of quests for Slesher had to receive a datadisc from Phinta Lianovi and Cornevero Dawlton. Each quest awarded 50 credits. Although the player could choose not to do Slesher's quests, this article assumes 100% game completion.
Cut content[edit | edit source]
Several players have indicated that Slesher originally issued up to one or two more additional quests, which evidently could be completed. Yet these quests were reported to lack any text dialogue strings, rendering it impossible to have derived much context from them. While the game's directory tree files and source data do not provide any information on a fourth quest, they do contain some information on a third, in which players would have been required to receive a processing fee from a Naboo politician in the form of a datadisc. The fee would have been used to hire an "expert" slicer to review some data. Beyond this, any information on this possibly existent third quest is limited, and it is not definitively known to have appeared on the live servers in a fully functioning capacity. Due to the ambiguity surrounding these additional tasks, this article only considers the first two quests to be definitively canonical in Legends as far as continuity is concerned. Elsewhere in Kaadara, players could interact with another NPC named Tamvar Senzen. According to the game's directory tree files and source data, Senzen was supposed to offer a quest in which players would find a woman for Slesher named Shandara, and escort her back to Kaadara. However, the Senzen quest NPC was broken, and this quest was never implemented on the live servers.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed: Prima Official Game Guide
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided directory tree files and source data
- Lariac (2003-09-24). Attach to the Labeled Naboo Map: All Static missions for Naboo. SOE. Sony Online Entertainment. Archived from the original on June 13, 2020. Retrieved on June 13, 2020. "username/password: swganh"