- "She surrendered her saber to me and said one day it would be picked up again by someone who would finish her journey."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Rey about Leia Organa's lightsaber
Leia's lightsaber was a blue-bladed lightsaber used by Padawan Leia Organa during her training under her brother Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker. She later discontinued her training and gave the lightsaber to Skywalker after Organa sensed the death of her son at the end of her Jedi path. Skywalker kept the lightsaber with him and after his death at the Battle of Crait, gave the weapon to Rey during the final days of the war between the First Order and the Resistance.
Usage by Leia OrganaEdit
In 4 ABY after the Battle of Endor, Organa began training with her brother, Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker on Ajan Kloss. Soon after, Organa discontinued her training after she told Skywalker that she had sensed the death of her son at the end of her Jedi path. While Luke hoped that his sister would resume her training later on, Organa gave him her lightsaber to convince him otherwise, asking to pass it on to a promising student someday. However, Luke didn't do that and never told Leia where he stored her lightsaber. Skywalker took the saber with him into exile on Ahch-To, and stored it inside his hut.
Usage by ReyEdit
- "There's something my sister would want you to have."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Rey
After Skywalker's death, his Force spirit gave Organa's lightsaber to Rey, as he believed Organa would want the Jedi Padawan to have her weapon. During the Battle of Exegol, Rey used the lightsaber in tandem with the Skywalker lightsaber to deflect Darth Sidious' Force lightning back at the Sith Master, killing him.
Behind the scenesEdit
Leia Organa's lightsaber was created for the 2019 film Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker, the final installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy. According to Lucasfilm Archivist Madlyn Burkert, the saber's design was influenced by the Art Deco movement of the 1930s.
When asked about what type of lightsaber she would like during an appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert when promoting her new book The Princess Diarist, Carrie Fisher said she liked the color purple.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection
- (Picture only)
- (First identified as Leia's lightsaber)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary states that Leia Organa was trained as a Jedi thirty years before the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, Organa built her lightsaber in 4 ABY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 kyber crystal "at the heart of every Jedi lightsaber." states that there is a
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- ↑ Corey Chichizola (2016-11-22). Star Wars: What Color Lightsaber Leia Should Have, According To Carrie Fisher. Archived from the original on November 22, 2016. Retrieved on February 10, 2020.