- "What are you doing on Kashyyyk?"
"Looking for somebody. What are you doing here?"
"My companions and I came to Kashyyyk to disrupt Imperial supply lines...so, who are you looking for?"
"A Wookiee Chieftain named Tarfful."
"Tarfful is impossible to find. There's a reason he's evaded the Empire for this long."
"He's a freedom fighter?"
"He's THE freedom fighter. A symbol of the Wookiee resistance, striking at the Empire from the Shadowlands...What do you want with Tarfful?"
- ―Saw Gerrera and Cal Kestis on what brought them to Kashyyyk
The Liberation on Kashyyyk was a mission undertaken during the reign of the Galactic Empire by Jedi Padawan Cal Kestis to the planet Kashyyyk to find Tarfful. Whilst searching for the Wookiee chieftain, Kestis came across Saw Gerrera and his Partisans and agreed to help free captured Wookiees from the Imperial Refinery.
After being exposed as a Jedi in hiding, padawan Cal Kestis and former knight Cere Junda went on a mission to rebuild the Jedi Order. Doing research on the Zeffo, they needed to find an old friend of Eno Cordova, a Wookiee chief named Tarfful, for information.
Assault on the refinery
Saw Gerrera lead his Partisans to aid the wookies there. The planet was blockaded by several Imperial-class Star Destroyers. During an attack on an Imperial landing pad, the Empire deployed TIE/ln space superiority starfighters, AT-ATs, AT-STs, and Imperial Troop Transports. Cal's group arrived in the middle of the battle and decided to help. He hijacked an AT-AT and destroyed numerous Imperial forces. After securing an Imperial Landing pad, the AT-AT was disabled by a crashing Zeta-class Heavy Cargo Shuttle. Saw and his forces met with Cal's group, and Cal agreed to help them raid on the nearby Imperial Refinery on his search for Tarfful.
Saw lead his soldiers to attack the facility head-on and captured the cutters to cut into the refinery while Cal snuck inside to free the prisoners, fighting through Stormtroopers and local wildlife, such as Wyyyschokk. Going through the facility, Cal ran into a few Purge troopers waiting for him, but was able to dispatch them. After freeing the Wookiee prisoners, he rendezvoused with Saw's forces on the roof. Despite being surrounded, Cal bested the Imperial forces attacking him and Saw claimed victory over the Empire. He then offered Cal to join his Partisans, but Cal had to finish his own mission. Mari Kosan met with Cal and agrees to find Tarfful for him. Cal then left for Zeffo while Saw's forces occupy the refinery.
The search for Tarfful
At some point following Cal's departure, the Second Sister and Ninth Sister brought Imperial reinforcements and nearly destroyed the Partisans looking for Cal. The Partisans retreated into the Shadowlands, before Gerrera eventually fled offworld with much of his forces while Mari and others stayed to continue helping the Wookiees.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (First appearance)
- The Star Wars Book (Indirect mention only)
- "Rebel Rousers: Our Top Ten Rebels" – Star Wars Insider 203 (First identified as Liberation on Kashyyyk)
Notes and references
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of "Landing at Point Rain" in 21 BBY, and Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Highlights of the Saga: The End of Endurance) dates the death of CT-411 "Ponds," as depicted in "Lethal Trackdown," to the same year. Since places "Brain Invaders" between "Landing at Point Rain" and "Lethal Trackdown," it must also be set in 21 BBY. As the second occupation of Geonosis begins in "Brain Invaders," it must have started in 21 BBY, and Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel establishes that the Galactic Empire carried on the occupation after the end of the Clone Wars. Dawn of Rebellion specifies that the Empire continued to hold its presence on Geonosis until the sterilization of Geonosis and that, within months of the genocide, Project Stardust had been entirely relocated to Scarif. As Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that the DS-1 Death Star Mobile Battle Station was moved to that planet nine years before the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which occurred in 0 BBY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas, the Death Star was moved over Scarif in 9 BBY. Based on what Dawn of Rebellion notes about how the sterilization occurred months before the project was situated over Scarif, the sterilization and Imperial withdrawal from Geonosis must have occurred around 9 BBY. Therefore, the second occupation of Geonosis lasted from 21 BBY to around 9 BBY.
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order takes place five years after the issuance of Order 66, which is dated to 19 BBY by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. Therefore, the events of Jedi: Fallen Order must have occurred in 14 BBY.