Lichens were small, adaptable fungi that grew symbiotically with algae, resulting in a composite organism that characteristically formed a crustlike or branching growth on surfaces such as rocks or tree trunks. Able to grow in almost any climate, lichens could be found from the freezing tundras of Hoth to the deserts of Tatooine.
Fields of lichens grew in Hoth's vast cave grottoes, providing an important source of food for wild tauntauns. These animals also sometimes found lichens on exposed outcroppings on the surface and just below the frost layer. There are two varieties of lichen on Hoth, wall and floor.
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy
- "Scouts' Dispatch"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 13
- "Another Spin Around the Galaxy"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 5
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back
- The Essential Atlas
- Strongholds of Resistance
- Mask of the Pirate Queen