The Lictor-class dungeon ship, also known as an Imperial dungeon ship or Mandalorian Dungeon Ship, was a versatile warship and mobile prison based on a design used by the Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders during the Mandalorian Wars. The design proved resilient enough that it was still in use nearly four thousand years after its conception.
The models used by the Galactic Empire were equipped with universal energy cages, holding cells, drop bays, and sparring chambers where Dark Side Adepts could battle captive Jedi. They were designed to intimidate, and gained a reputation for never returning a captive who entered them. Guard droids were used to help prevent Jedi escapes.
In order to ensure that prisoners couldn't revolt and commandeer a vessel, their navicomps only were able to hold two sets of coordinates, the home base and the destination, and so could only go to those locations.
Though the Lictor-class wasn't manufactured for combat, it did possess 10 quad turbolaser batteries and two tractor beam projectors for self-defense.
The Lictor-class was used to transport normal and Force-sensitive prisoners, such as captured Jedi Knights during the height of the Great Jedi Purge following the Clone Wars. The Revelator was dispatched to accompany Inquisitor Valin Draco on a mission to the Cularin system, not long after the end of the Clone Wars.
During the aftermath of the Imperial Civil War in 10 ABY, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker and R2-D2 were transported on an Imperial dungeon ship to Byss, the secret throne world of the resurrected Emperor Palpatine. By that time, a dungeon ship could be purchased for 7.8 million credits.
Behind the scenesEdit
Star Wars: Republic: Dreadnaughts of Rendili indicates that the dungeon ships were refitted from Dreadnaught-class heavy cruisers captured during the Battle of Rendili. These were based on a Mandalorian design similar to Lictor-class dungeon ships, and so converted into them.
- Imperial Commando: 501st (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
- "Droid Trouble"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3 (Mentioned only)
- Dark Empire 2: Devastator of Worlds (First appearance)
- Dark Empire audio drama
- Legacy 25: The Hidden Temple, Part 1 (Cover only)
- Dark Empire endnotes (Part 2: The Power of the Dark Side)
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook (As "Lictor-class Mandalorian dungeon ship")
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- Alliance Intelligence Reports
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Third Edition
- The Essential Chronology
- Handbook 3: Dark Empire
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 93 (Picture only)
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Edge of Darkness (Card: Lictor-class Dungeon Ship)