- "I was hoping to be free for Life Day."
- ―A Mythrol
Life Day was a time-honored holiday observed by the Wookiees on their forested home planet of Kashyyyk, in the galaxy's Mid Rim. It celebrated the values and tenets of Wookiee culture, including family, joy, and harmony. Life Day celebrations involved a feast and journey to the Tree of Life, which represented the first seed and spark of life on the planet. Said tree was decorated with crystalline Life Day Orbs, and rituals were conducted around it. The feast involved shi-shok fruits, wroshyr lice syrup, and most of all sacred orga roots, which had been foraged from the Shadowlands in the days before the celebrations.
- "Oh, I guess you think you can do better?"
"Honestly? Yes, I do."
"Then why don't you go write your own journal and leave me alone?"
"Okay, fine, you know what? I will! I've got some great ideas for an episode about how Chewbacca's family celebrates Life Day!"
- ―Two Whills
Many years after the Imperial Era, a Whill was tasked with writing history for the Journal of the Whills. A fellow Whill protested about how it was being being written. This Whill angrily stormed off, stating they would write about how Chewbacca and his family celebrated the holiday.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Star Wars Legends, Life Day was created for The Star Wars Holiday Special, a television variety show that was spun off of Star Wars, George Lucas's film of the previous year. In the special, Han Solo and his Wookiee first mate Chewbacca visit Kashyyyk so the latter can celebrate Life Day with his family.
The 2017 short story "Whills," written by Tom Angleberger and released as part of the From a Certain Point of View anthology, contains a brief reference to the Holiday Special, with a character stating that they have "some great ideas for an episode about how Chewbacca's family celebrates Life Day."
- Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge – "Episode 10" (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 1: The Mandalorian" (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance: Attack on Starkiller Base (Mentioned only)
- "Whills"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Collapse of the Republic
- (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Collapse of the Republic
- ↑ The Mandalorian – "Chapter 1: The Mandalorian"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "Whills"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Star Wars Holiday Special
- ↑ Star Wars Year By Year: A Visual History, Updated and Expanded Edition
- ↑ Fans Celebrate "Life Day" at Disneyland's Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. laughingplace.com (November 21, 2019).