A life support device was any implement that helped a being stay alive, whether trough permanent support or situational in nature, such as surviving in settings that were polluted or otherwise inadapted to their natural life requirements.
Life support systems made the interior of a starship capable of supporting life in the otherwise deadly environmental conditions of space. One important function of life support was to renew the breathable air inside the ship. Other parameters included the ambient temperature.
Some crafts, like the Imperial TIE/ln space superiority starfighter, lacked such systems, which forced their users to wear life support chest pieces with breather tubes connected to the helmet to provide necessary gases. Similarly, Woan Barso wore a vac-suit at all times because he did not trust the life support of his dilapidated container tug.
Individual life support
- "I got close enough for a scan. And the rest of him looks like standard life support, fusion furnace, respirator—junk!"
- ―Unidentified droid pirate captain, referring to Darth Vader
Individual life support implements took a variety of forms according to the degree of dependence of the beings using them. For example, Kel Dors like the Jedi Master Plo Koon only needed to wear a specialized breath mask and protective goggles so they could function in conditions different from those on their home planet of Dorin. At the other end of the spectrum, Anakin Skywalker was so gravely injured after his duel on Mustafar that he needed an armor offering total and permanent life support, without which he would die. Similarly, during the last days of their lives, the monarchs of Mon Cala Lee-Char and Ech-Char were maintained on life support.
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 1 (Helmets: Darth Vader, Master of the Dark Side)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 6 (Helmets: TIE Fighter Pilot)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 9 (Helmets: AT-AT Pilot)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Helmets: Naboo Pilot)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Sith)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 25 (Helmets: Commander Cody; Weapons & Uniforms: The Utapauns)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: A-wing Deluxe Book and 3D Wood Model
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 31 (Databank A-Z: Kaminoans–King Katuunko; Helmets: Poe Dameron)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 32 (Databank A-Z: Kel Dor–Ki-Adi-Mundi)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 33 (Helmets: Commander Neyo)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 35 (Helmets: 212th Attack Battalion)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 38 (Helmets: Commander Thire)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 40 (Helmets: Clone Pilot)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 48 (Helmets: First Order TIE Pilot)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Mining Guild TIE Expansion Pack (Card: )
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 1 (Starfighter Aces: Luke Skywalker – Savior of the Rebel Alliance)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 57 (Helmets: Wedge Antilles)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 62 (Databank A-Z: U-wing–V-wing)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 71 (Helmets: General Merrick; Weapons & Uniforms: Blue Squadron)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition
- TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- "Bacta Basis: Medical Care in the Star Wars Galaxy"—Star Wars Insider 190
- Rebel Starfighters Owners' Workshop Manual
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 79 (Helmets: Jek Porkins)
- Star Wars Bust Collection 1 (Star Wars Universe: Darth Vader)