- "How am I to know the good side from the bad?"
"You will know, when you are calm. At peace, passive."
- ―Luke Skywalker and Yoda
The light side of the Force, also known as Ashla, was an aspect of the Force. The light side was aligned with calmness and was used for knowledge and defense. The Jedi were notable practitioners of the light, and were the mortal enemies of the Sith, who followed the dark side of the Force.
Essence of the light sideEdit
The light side of the Force was built around the alignment of tranquility, compassion, selflessness, and unconditional love for all living creatures. In order to achieve harmony and a state of benevolence, its practitioners, namely Jedi, would meditate and let the Force flow through them.
- "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense...never for attack."
- ―Yoda talks about the Force
The light side of the Force was primarily used for defensive abilities as opposed to aggressive ones. Compared to the dark side, the light side was more difficult to use in battle as emotions such as hate, anger, and fear are all natural to sapient life in such contests. This allowed users of the dark side to advance in their mastery of combative aspects of the Force more quickly than their light side counterparts. However, according to Yoda, the dark side was not more powerful than the light side in and of itself, merely "quicker, easier, more seductive". However, each have abilities that the other lack. Light side practitioners are able to "heal" a bled kyber crystal. This means that a kyber crystal that was reddened by dark siders could be restored to a pure form. Users of the light side are also able to heal wounds that vary in severity. The Jedi Order also had an ancient technique called Morichro. This art form allowed the user to slow down the bodily functions of an opponent to the point of death. Master Yaddle was the only Jedi known to use this ability as it was very dangerous. An adherent of the light side could also master the ability of becoming a Force spirit. This ability allowed the user to preserve their Life Force and thus, manifest a consciousness which allowed them to commune with the living after death. With this power, force spirits were capable of demonstrating extraordinary feats such as calling down lightning and interacting with the mortal world. The only known people to master this ability are Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker. Qui-Gon Jinn was the first person to discover this ability but died before mastering it. However, he was able to have eternal consciousness but he can not appear as a blue tinted version of his physical form and instead came back as an disembodied voice.
The Chosen OneEdit
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Expert Guide
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: Lightsaber Battles
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Ahsoka
- ↑ Chapter 7: The Reckoning
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices"