- "Corvette Five locked on target. Prepare for impact."
- ―Captain Kado Oquoné
The Lightmaker, also known by its callsign "Corvette Five," was a Sphyrna-class corvette that served in the Alliance to Restore the Republic's fleet. Before the Galactic Civil War, the ship was sent by Senator Bail Organa to reinforce Commander Jun Sato's unit of the rebellion along with two other Hammerheads, the Amity's Arrow and the Duchess Senna. The three ships were stolen by one of Sato's sub-units, the Spectres, during a raid on the planet Lothal. When part of Phoenix Cell, it was one of the few ships to escape the disastrous Battle of Atollon where one of the other two Hammerheads was destroyed along with many other ships.
Under the captaincy of Kado Oquoné, it participated in the Battle of Scarif, the opening battle of the Galactic Civil War. After being flanked by two Imperial Star Destroyers (ISDs) and badly damaged, the Lightmaker withdrew from the field of fire to guard the line of retreat. Admiral Raddus later ordered Oquoné to ram his corvette into the side of the disabled Star Destroyer Persecutor, causing it to crash into the ISD Intimidator before sending the latter crashing into the Shield Gate protecting Scarif, disabling the planetary force field and thus allowing crucial transmissions between Scarif and the rebel fleet. Though the plan was successful, the corvette was destroyed in combat.
Commanders and crewEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
The Lightmaker first appeared as one of the three Sphyrna-class corvettes given by Bail Organa to the Lothal rebels in "A Princess on Lothal," the mid-season premiere of the second season of the Star Wars Rebels TV series, which aired on Disney XD January 20, 2016. The corresponding episode guide on StarWars.com identifies the three Hammerhead corvettes as P1, P2, and P3.
Although Star Wars: The Rebel Files states that the three ships given to the Lothal rebels were named Lightmaker, Duchess Senna, and Amity's Arrow, and Rogue One's Lightmaker appears very similar to Star Wars Rebels' P1, with a notable difference being the lack of the Aurebesh characters "P1" on the Rogue One model, no official source to date clarifies the three Rebel Files ships' correspondance to P1, P2, and P3.
Rogue One's visual effects supervisor, John Knoll, mentioned that there was much back-and-forth about whether the crew survived; cutting to shots of escape pods were deemed distracting by Gareth Edwards, so ILM merely implied they survived by not having the pods present during the collision of the disabled Star Destroyer with the Shield Gate. Knoll speculated that, given the Death Star fires on the position where the pods would land, it was still unlikely any of the Lightmaker's crew survived.
- Star Wars Rebels – "A Princess on Lothal" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Forgotten Droid"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First identified as Corvette Five)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (First identified as Lightmaker)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Rogue One Adaptation 6
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 23 (Weapons & Uniforms: Princess Leia Organa) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 71 (Highlights of the Saga: The Battle of Scarif) (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 79 (Highlights of the Saga: The Battle of Scarif)
- (Picture only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Star Wars Rebels – "A Princess on Lothal"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Rogue One mystery solved: Did the Hammerhead crew survive?. Entertainment Weekly (2017-01-12). Retrieved on January 12, 2017.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story to 0 BBY.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- ↑ Star Wars Helmet Collection 23 (Weapons & Uniforms: Princess Leia Organa)
- ↑ Sands, Rich (January 11, 2016). Star Wars Rebels Scoop: Princess Leia Set to Appear on the Disney XD Animated Series. TV Insider. Archived from the original on August 31, 2018. Retrieved on January 11, 2016.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files