- "The lightsaber pike is the sacred weapon of the Temple Guard. Its twin yellow blades symbolize the eternal flame of the Order, and the vigilance of its protectors."
- ―Kolloma Ree
Description[edit | edit source]
The lightsaber pike was a thick, imposing lightsaber variant similar in design to the double-bladed lightsaber; in that it was a staff-shaped weapon that featured two rare and distinctive yellow plasma blades projecting from either end. Some lightsaber pikes had a haft that when activated emitted a shoto blade that made it two to three meters long, and also came in a hinged version as well.
History[edit | edit source]
- "It has been centuries since invaders dared set foot in the Temple's halls. Should they come again, the yellow blades of the Guard shall meet them."
- ―Kolloma Ree
Lightsaber pikes were used by the Jedi Temple Guards, Knights of the Jedi Order who were sworn to protect the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. During the Clone Wars, they were used during Ahsoka Tano's Jedi trial to keep Anakin Skywalker restrained after the Council's decision. Later, they were used to isolate the duel between Anakin and Padawan Barriss Offee, and escort her to the Republic military base.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
In the planning stages of "The Wrong Jedi," the lightsaber pikes carried by the Jedi Temple Guards were originally to have green blades. However, they later became yellow, making them the first lightsabers to canonically have a yellow blade.
Sith lightsaber pike[edit | edit source]
A single-bladed lightsaber pike dubbed the "Sith lightsaber pike" was designed for use by Darth Bane in "Sacrifice," the thirteenth episode of the canon animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' sixth season, though it didn't appear in the episode's final cut. This version of the weapon bore a greater resemblance to the lightsaber pike as depicted in the non-canon Legends continuity.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices"
- Kanan 8
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 6 (Appears as statue)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 7 (Appears as statue)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness" (Vision)
- Star Wars 6
- Star Wars 8
- Star Wars 10 (Cover only)
- Star Wars 13
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First identified as lightsaber pike)
- Nexus of Power
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 36 (Databank A-Z: Cut Lawquane–Lothal)
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- Collapse of the Republic
- Gadgets and Gear
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection