The lightsaber rifle was a type of rifle designed to work in conjunction with a standard lightsaber. During the first year of the Galactic Empire's reign, Jocasta Nu wielded one such rifle against Darth Vader.
Once a lightsaber was properly loaded into an open slot on top of the rifle, a lightsaber rifle could produce an overwhelmingly powerful and destructive beam of energy. One such rifle was kept secure in the Jedi Archives. The weapon could fire at least five shots before the lightsaber being used as fuel melted beyond usage, at which point the empty rifle began to smoke. It can also be activated to self-destruct with enough force to break open a large hole in the Jedi Temple wall.
Returning to the Jedi Temple after its fall during the Great Jedi Purge, Jocasta Nu used the Archives' rifle in conjunction with her lightsaber when she confronted Darth Vader in 19 BBY. However, the weapon ran out of ammunition, and despite her attempt to use it as an explosive with telekinesis, Vader's own telekinetic power redirected it, detonating a large portion of the Jedi Temple wall instead.
Behind the scenes
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook
- Darth Vader (2017) 9 (First appearance)
- Darth Vader (2017) 10
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 2 (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 69 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Jedi Purge) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection (First identified as lightsaber rifle)