- "You know I envision a galaxy of Great Works -- connected and inspiring and filled with peace for all citizens. I believe this is possible, but not because of me, or any special ability of mine. I believe it is possible because of us. Because we can and will work together to achieve it. We are, every one of us, a great work. I see a galaxy where we use our strengths to shore up each other's weaknesses, where we understand and celebrate our differences and hold them up as valuable. We are a Republic where every voice matters, whether in the Core or on the farthest planet at the edge of the Rim."
- ―Lina Soh's speech at the Dedication of the Starlight Beacon
Lina Soh was a female Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic during the High Republic Era, holding office around 232 BBY. Jedi Master Avar Kriss noted that Soh appeared to be far more delicate than she actually was.
Elected prior to the Great Disaster, Soh oversaw a period of great expansion. Soh established outreach programs, such as the Starlight Beacon, to bring the worlds of the Outer Rim Territories into the Republic. At the chancellor's request, the Jedi Order also established its own outposts in the far reaches of the galaxy, to provide assistance to any group or world who might require it. These outposts were built to function autonomously from the authority of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant and, by extension, that of the Republic itself.
Soh was focused on the unification of systems in the quickly expanding Republic as exploration into the Outer Rim Territories increased. Part of her efforts on this front included the Great Works, which were projects she helmed that included the creation of the Starlight Beacon as well as constructing other communications relays throughout the galaxy, holding the Republic Fair, negotiating a treaty between the Quarren and Mon Calamari, and other technological innovations.
Companions[edit | edit source]
Lina Soh had two pet targons, Matari and Voru. The twin targons were closely bonded to Soh and were loyal to her in a way no other being was. They acted as bodyguards as well as companions and were said to have never left her side. Soh often spoke to Voru and Matari as she verbally thought through her ideas or plans. While the targons did not possess the ability to understand basic, they could sense and understand her feelings and emotions.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Lina Soh is a character created for Star Wars: The High Republic publishing project. Soh was first mentioned in "Starlight: Part One - Go Together," a short story written by Charles Soule and published in Star Wars Insider 199 on December 15, 2020. She later debuted in the novel The High Republic: Light of the Jedi, which was also written by Soule and released in 2021.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Into the Dark (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Into the Dark audiobook (Mentioned only)
- "Starlight: Part One - Go Together"—Star Wars Insider 199 (First mentioned)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (First appearance, simultaneous with The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook (First appearance, simultaneous with The High Republic: Light of the Jedi)
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage audiobook (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic 1
- "Starlight: Go Together: Part Two"—Star Wars Insider 200
- The High Republic 2 (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- "Starlight: Part One - Go Together"—Star Wars Insider 199
- The High Republic 1
- Star Wars: The High Republic take place 200 years prior to the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 32 BBY. states that the events of
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel