- "Now the Council names you Barsen'thor, Warden of the Order."
- ―Jedi Master Syo Bakarn, granting the title coined by Lorjan Sakku's Master, to worthy recipient
A female Cerean was the Jedi Master of Padawan Lorjan Sakku thousands of years before the Cold War between the Republic and the Sith Empire. When her Padawan sacrificed his own life in order to redeem his maddened brother Lyhesh, the Jedi Master recognized her fallen student's effort by naming him "Barsen'thor," which translated to "Warden of the Order" from her native Cerean language.
- "There's a title reserved for the most prestigious among us, whose wisdom and skill safeguard the galaxy. It hasn't been bestowed in thousands of years."
- ―Master Jaric Kaedan, on the title of Barsen'thor, which was coined by Lorjan Sakku's Master
A Force-sensitive Cerean female was active in the Jedi Order thousands of years before the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the reconstituted Sith Empire Having attained the rank of Jedi Master, the Cerean took a young man named Lorjan Sakku as her Padawan, training him in the ways of the Force. While Lorjan was training under the Cerean Master, his brother and fellow Jedi Lyhesh was poisoned in a deliberate attempt on his life. Lyhesh survived, but he became unhinged as a result of the attack, falling to the dark side of the Force.
Recognizing the mad Jedi as a major threat to the stability of the entire Order, Lorjan sought out and confronted his brother. The Cerean's Padawan managed to redeem Lyhesh, but at the cost of his own life. Recognizing the selfless efforts of her late Padawan, the Jedi Master posthumously named Lorjan "Barsen'thor," meaning "Warden of the Order" in her native Cerean language. The Jedi Order adopted the title as an official ceremonial rank, awarding it only to exceptional individuals who displayed great wisdom and skill in service of the Order. Some time after Lorjan's death, a second Barsen'thor was proclaimed by the Jedi Order, and a third individual was deemed worthy of the title millennia later, during the Cold War.
Personality and traitsEdit
The Jedi Master was affected by the death of her Padawan, deeming that sacrifice worthy of the title of Barsen'thor. That title would continue to see use among the Jedi for generations to come, well into the era of the Cold War.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
The Cerean was sensitive to the Force and had attained the rank of Jedi Master by the time she took Lorjan as her Padawan.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Cerean Jedi Master was mentioned in 2012's Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia, which provided context for the title of Barsen'thor, first featured in the 2011 massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic, developed by BioWare.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Consular Mission: "Vivicar Awaits" on Tython establishes that the title of Barsen'thor had not been bestowed in thousands of years when it is awarded to the third recipient at the height of the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the reconstituted Sith Empire. These thousands of years reference the tenure of the second Barsen'thor, while Lorjan Sakku's training under his Jedi Master must have taken place even earlier.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Consular Mission: "Vivicar Awaits" on Tython