- "They were the Lost Jedi, you know. The true Jedi, upon which the future will be built. They simply needed a leader, and a teacher."
The Lost Jedi were Jedi who lived in the aftermath of the Jedi Civil War. The term commonly referred to members of the Jedi Order who survived under the First Jedi Purge that was waged by Darth Sion and Darth Nihilus' Dark Jedi faction, although the exiled Jedi and former leader of Darths Sion and Nihilus' Dark Jedi remnant, Kreia, referred to the followers of her student and fellow exiled Jedi, Meetra Surik, as the Lost Jedi; the true Jedi who would form the basis of a new Jedi Order.
Knights of the old Order
- "Take your ship, seek them out. If you find them, encourage them to gather on Dantooine—from there, we can call a Council and see what can be done."
- ―Atris speaks to Meetra Surik regarding the Lost Jedi
Republic Intelligence reports indicated evidence that the Jedi Order had suffered even greater casualties after the war, when the First Jedi Purge was being perpetrated, but the information remained classified until some time after the devastation of Katarr, so the dissolution of the Order became one of the greatest mysteries of that time. The surviving Jedi had actually gone into self-imposed exile, hiding their presence until the Sith threat that was stalking them could be found.[source?]
Jedi Masters and Councilors Zez-Kai Ell, Kavar, Vrook Lamar, Lonna Vash, and Atris, were Lost Jedi, as was Deesra Luur Jada. Master Vash travelled to Korriban, although she was murdered by Darth Sion. Atris resided in her secret Jedi Academy on Telos IV, unknown to the Sith and Jedi alike, as she was to attend the conclave on Katarr and was assumed to have died there. Just prior to the Battle of Telos IV, as agreed with her, Meetra Surik had what remained of the Jedi High Council assembled on Dantooine, but again Atris would not expose herself.
Vrook, Kavar, and Zez-Kai Ell all fell to the coming of Kreia, who murdered them in the ruins of the Jedi Enclave. After being defeated by Surik, Kreia referred to her student's disciples as the "true Jedi" upon which the future of the Order would be built. Having pledged themselves to Meetra Surik, the true Jedi became the foundation of a new Jedi Order.
- "I wanted no more of Jedi, or Dark Jedi, or the Force. I just wanted to be left alone. And then I met you on Peragus. And I thought, maybe, maybe she had saved me so that I could help you. […] Once, a Jedi showed me the Force—I heard it, I felt it. At the time, there was to much pain to confront it—because if I did, it meant I would be changed into something else. […] I want to learn how to use the Force. I want to learn how to use the Force to help you."
- ―Atton, to the Jedi Exile
Atton, referred to as "the fool" by Kreia, desired no more than for external forces of the galaxy's conflict of light and dark to leave him be. However, having become acquainted with the Jedi Exile after meeting her at the Peragus Mining Facility, Atton confronted his past and pledged himself to the exile, deciding to be trained by the former Jedi, the last Jedi, the true Jedi, in order to help her.
- "I… I am the last of the Handmaidens no longer. I am Brianna, disciple of the last of the Jedi, and the one who will stand with you against all enemies who face us."
- ―Brianna, to the Jedi Exile
The Echani hybrid Brianna, who was once one of Atris' Handmaiden Sisters, was one of the Lost Jedi. According to Kreia's predictions, the Echani would succeed Atris as the Order's leading Jedi historian.
Following Surik's departure for the Unknown Regions, Mical, referred to by Kreia as "the disciple," sat on the new Jedi High Council as a Jedi Master, and sentenced Atris—who had by then chosen to let go of her obsession with the Jedi and the dark side of the Force—for her crimes.
- "I want to become like you. I want to be strong! I don't want to be afraid or alone anymore.I… I… I don't want to keep running, and looking, and never feel like I'm finding what I'm looking for. I'm tired of being hunted. When the galaxy takes something from me, I want the power to let go… and I want the power to heal the echo when it's gone."
- ―Mira, to the Jedi Exile
Mira, referred to as "the huntress" by Kreia, was once a restless bounty hunter who sought to be in a living environment—on Nar Shaddaa, where despite the misery of the place, the people there were active, their movements constant. When Mira awakened from her ignorance of the Force that connected all things, she became overwhelmed by the echoes of the Force that emanated from Nar Shaddaa's denizens. However, the Jedi Exile taught her to calm her mind in the Force, allowing Mira to sense the ebb and flow of life without succumbing to its frenzy.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (First appearance)