- "Jho was remembered for havin' a sympathetic ear and a helpin' hand, but it was his signature spicebrew that really elevated him to legendary status."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Lothal Spicebrew, also known simply as spicebrew or spice brew was a tan alcoholic beverage topped with foam served at the cantina Old Jho's Pit Stop in the outpost Jhothal on the planet Lothal. It was a signature drink for the bar's owner, Jho, giving the Ithorian his legendary status. A Rodian known as Tsoklo drank a cup of spicebrew on the fifteenth annual Empire Day, a celebration of the Galactic Empire's founding in the year 19 BBY. Spicebrew was also referenced in a metaphor used by the bounty hunter Dengar.
The Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs also made Lothal Spicebrew using Jho's recipe after a visit to the Ithorian's cantina sometime after he was executed by the Empire for assisting a group of suspected rebels. Tuggs included Jho's recipe for the beverage in his cookbook titled The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook in 34 ABY.
Behind the scenes
Lothal Spicebrew first appeared, albeit unnamed, in the new Star Wars canon in "Empire Day," the eighth episode in the first season of the animated series Star Wars Rebels, which aired on Disney XD on November 17, 2014. It was later named "spicebrew" in Ezra's Duel with Danger, a 2015 junior novel adaptation of the Star Wars Rebels episodes "Empire Day," "Gathering Forces," and "Path of the Jedi," written by Michael Kogge. The term was separated into two words as "spice brew" in Marvel Comics' Bounty Hunters 10, written by Ethan Sacks and released on March 17, 2021.
The drink was first identified as "Lothal Spicebrew" in the real-life recipe book Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, authored by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Marc Sumerak and released in 2019. The out-of-universe recipe for Lothal Spicebrew includes stout beer, condensed milk, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and brandy. Spicebrew was originally created for the 2004 Star Wars Legends novel MedStar II: Jedi Healer, written by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry.
- Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day" (First appearance)
- Ezra's Duel with Danger (First identified as spicebrew)
- Bounty Hunters 10 (Mentioned only) (First identified as spice brew)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First identified as Lothal Spicebrew)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Bounty Hunters 10
- Star Wars Rebels: Visual Guide: Epic Battles
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.
- Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day"
- MedStar II: Jedi Healer