The Lucasfilm Story Group is a division of Lucasfilm Ltd. founded in 2013 that is responsible for keeping track of Star Wars canon in order to assist writers and directors in the development of new stories. As of May 2017, the group comprises eleven individuals. Pablo Hidalgo, an author and creative executive at Lucasfilm, has been part of the Story Group since its creation.
History[edit | edit source]
The Lucasfilm Story Group began as an initiative from Kathleen Kennedy in 2012. Lucasfilm Vice President Kiri Hart helped form the group as its Development Lead, with the stated goal of abolishing the canon hierarchy system in favor of a single cohesive continuity. Lucasfilm Story Group—including Rayne Roberts, Carrie Beck, Diana Williams, Leland Chee, Pablo Hidalgo, and Matt Martin—participated in the making of Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter, a digital expansion to the video game Star Wars: The Old Republic, being mentioned in the ending credits.
On April 25, 2014, the Lucasfilm Story Group rebooted the Star Wars universe by retiring much of the Expanded Universe storyline and rebranding it as "Star Wars Legends." Besides Lucas' six films, the only previously produced material still considered canon are the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and the standalone comic arc Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, which was based on unproduced scripts from The Clone Wars TV series. All subsequent material produced in collaboration with the Story Group including the Disney XD television series Star Wars Rebels and all novels beginning with A New Dawn are considered part of the new canonical continuity.
Story Group members Carrie Beck and Leland Chee were involved in the production of the 2016 non-canon Disney XD animated series LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures to ensure that the show did not contradict the new canon continuity.
Author Jason Fry stated that one of the biggest misconceptions regarding the Story Group is that it is omniscient and should somehow be perfect. "Of course there are going to be inconsistencies and slips here and there."
Members[edit | edit source]
- Rayne Roberts
- Carrie Beck
- Leland Chee
- Pablo Hidalgo
- Matt Martin
- Steve Blank
- James Waugh
- Josh Rimes
- Stephen Feder
- Cara Pardo
- Emily Shkoukani
Former members[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- ForceCast #273: The Galaxy is Reading. ForceCast.net. Archived from the original on April 12, 2020.
- Kamp, David (May 24, 2017). Cover Story: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Definitive Preview. Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on February 21, 2020. Retrieved on May 24, 2017.
- Chris Taylor, How Star Wars Conquered the Universe, p. 409.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures is more intense than you think. IGN. Archived from the original on April 22, 2020.
- Mike Cooper (2014-11-14). Jason Fry Keeps Talking To Us: Wired For The Classics. Eleven-ThirtyEight. Archived from the original on June 16, 2020. Retrieved on July 9, 2020.
- Spry, Jeff (August 20, 2019). Exclusive preview: Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire is 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine in space'. syfy.com. Archived from the original on August 5, 2020.
- Star Wars 31
- Star Wars Battlefront II
[edit | edit source]
- Inside the 'Star Wars' Writers Room: Meet the 5 Architects of the Franchise (backup link)
- 'Star Wars' story group manages teeming galaxy (backup link)
- How Star Wars authors work with Lucasfilm and earn creative control (backup link)
- The Women Who Run the ‘Star Wars’ Universe (backup link)