- "I took him, and a dozen students, and began a training temple."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Rey
A Jedi temple was used by Jedi Master Luke Skywalker to train a new generation of Jedi during the New Republic Era. Following a confrontation between Skywalker and Ben Solo, his apprentice and nephew, Solo destroyed the temple and the Order.
Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's training temple consisted of a jar-shaped structure and several wooden huts. Its location was a secret known only among the Order. These structures were destroyed by Ben Solo when he raged over his confrontation with Skywalker, causing a lightning storm to burn the temple and kill many of Skywalker's Jedi apprentices.
During the New Republic Era, Luke Skywalker traveled through the galaxy to research the original Jedi Order. His sister, Senator Leia Organa, had a young son named Ben Solo who was strong with the Force, and she realized he was in danger from the mysterious dark side wielder Snoke. Organa entrusted Solo to her brother Skywalker, hoping to keep him in the light side as a Jedi. Solo became Skywalker's first apprentice when he was ten years old and journeyed with him to collect Jedi history and artifacts. In their travels, Skywalker gathered disciples who would become his students alongside Solo and built a training temple. He also took any Jedi relics or lore that they found and locked it up in the temple. Here, he passed on his teachings to his nephew Ben Solo and other apprentices, including Hennix, Tai and Voe.
While peering into the mind of his sleeping nephew, Skywalker sensed a growing darkness and the machinations of Snoke. Instinctively, Skywalker ignited his lightsaber. However, it was a fleeting moment and Skywalker was soon overcome by shame and regret. Waking to find his uncle standing over him with lightsaber drawn, Solo believed he meant to kill him and fought Skywalker, destroying his own dwelling with the Force in the process. Believing his uncle dead, Solo left the ruins of his room, confused and consumed with despair and rage at the betrayal.
Overcome with his emotions Solo surveyed the temple as a powerful storm brewed above and set it ablaze, killing the Jedi inside. Shortly later, Hennix, Tai, and Voe returned in their starship Verity. Sensing only Solo's presence, they confronted their fellow pupil, who told them that Skywalker had tried to kill him. Skeptical of Solo's account and wary of his perceived arrogance, they tried to detain him but he escaped into space and sought Snoke. Hennix, Tai and Voe resolved to find Solo in order to find out what happened. In the resulting confrontations, Solo inadvertently killed Hennix, the leader of the Knights of Ren known as "Ren" killed Tai, and Solo killed Voe.
The destruction of Luke Skywalker's Jedi Temple would have substantial repercussions for both Skywalker and Ben Solo. When Skywalker awoke, he found his Jedi Temple engulfed in flames and knew that Solo had destroyed the Temple and caused the deaths of his fellow pupils. Skywalker incorrectly believed Solo had slaughtered those who wouldn't turn to the dark side and recruited the others to leave with him. Overcome by grief and despair at his failure to rebuild the Jedi Order, Skywalker retreated to the planet Ahch-To in the Unknown Regions, the site of the First Jedi Temple. Skywalker believed that the Jedi legacy was one of failure and cut himself off from the Force.
Having turned to the dark side, Solo adopted the persona of Kylo Ren and became Supreme Leader Snoke's apprentice as well as a First Order warlord and master of the Knights of Ren. Prior to the Battle of Takodana, the young Force-sensitive scavenger named Rey had a vision that included glimpses of Skywalker and his astromech droid R2-D2 watching the burning temple in the background.
Ren and Rey shared a unique connection through the Force. As their connection manifested into a powerful bond capable of bridging their minds across the galaxy, Ren shared his account of the night the temple was destroyed, revealing to Rey his belief that Skywalker attempted to murder him. When Rey confronted Skywalker, he related his account of the Jedi temple's destruction.
Behind the scenesEdit
The burning ruins of Luke Skywalker's Jedi temple were briefly seen in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, during Rey's vision. Although the location was not identified in the movie itself, the official screenplay describes that building as a temple, as does the movie's novelization.
During the early development of The Force Awakens, one of the many ideas that George Lucas envisioned for the Star Wars sequel trilogy involved Luke training his new disciple Kira (renamed Rey in the finished version of the film) at a Jedi temple located at the planet which ultimately became Ahch-To. Artwork from this period is included in The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.  Skywalker's Jedi temple and the Luke/Rey storyline ultimately made it into the flashback sequences of Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi.
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 1
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 2 (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 3 (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 4 (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance) (Vision to Rey)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization (Vision to Rey)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel (Vision to Rey)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition audiobook (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel audiobook (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 3 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary states that Luke Skywalker's Jedi temple was destroyed 6 years before the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, the destruction must have taken place in 28 ABY.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Rise of Kylo Ren 3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 The Rise of Kylo Ren 1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens (novelization)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 The Rise of Kylo Ren 2
- ↑ The Rise of Kylo Ren 4
- ↑ Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Ending Details And More Revealed In Official Screenplay
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- ↑ Our Only Look at George Lucas' Vision for the 'Star Wars' Sequel Trilogy at /Film
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- ↑ Dark Apprentice
- ↑ Jedi Search