Luptoom was an Outer Rim Territories planet situated in the Seswenna sector. The planet's Human population, known as Luptoomians, was known for its unusual style of clothing. During the Separatist Crisis, the Luptoomian Nar Hida opened a fashion store on the planet Coruscant.
Following the closure of his unsuccessful business, Hida and his family attempted to return home to Luptoom aboard the freighter Jendirian Valley. They succeeded only due to a chance encounter with Jedi Anakin Skywalker and Senator Padmé Amidala, who directed them to the assistance of the Refugee Relief Movement.
Luptoom was a planet located in the Luptoom system, a part of the Outer Rim Territories' Seswenna sector. The planet shared its name with Luptoomian dressing, a salad sauce served at Dex's Diner on the Core Worlds planet Coruscant.
By the time of the Separatist Crisis, the Luptoomian Nar Hida, along with his wife and daughter, left his home on Luptoom and traveled to Coruscant. There, Hida opened a Luptoomian fashion boutique; however, he was soon forced to close the shop due to poor sales.
Boarding the freighter Jendirian Valley in 22 BBY with the intent of returning to Luptoom, the nearly creditless Hida family learned that the freighter would only travel halfway to the planet, which threatened to leave the Luptoomians stranded away from home. Following a chance encounter aboard the ship with Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala—a Jedi and a Republic Senator traveling incognito—Hida was directed by the latter to contact the Refugee Relief Movement upon the Jendirian Valley's stop at the Mid Rim planet Naboo. The movement then helped the failed entrepreneur and his family return to Luptoom.
Behind the scenes
- "There's no story behind the name of the Hidas' homeworld, Luptoom. It's just a goofy-sounded name I dreamed up while writing. I'd like to think that Luptoom is located somewhere near Almak, if for no other reason than it might then be the home of Luptoomian Leffingites."
- ―Gregory Walker
Luptoom was developed as part of the backstory for Nar Hida, an originally unnamed character appearing in the 2002 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones. Gregory Walker, writing as "NarbFlick," submitted an entry for Hida through the StarWars.com Hyperspace feature "What's The Story?," and it was added to the site's Databank on September 28, 2006.
Walker later claimed that there was "no story behind" Luptoom's "goofy-sounded" name and that he had "dreamed" it up while writing Hida's entry. The author also expressed his intention for Luptoom to be located in the vicinity of the world Almak, which had also been created by Walker via "What's The Story?". The 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas placed the Luptoom system, and therefore the planet Luptoom, within grid square M-18, while placing the Almak system in the Mid Rim, grid square J-17.
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (Mentioned in multiple entries, but without own entry)
- (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Luptoom system — Based on corresponding data for
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 267 ("Luptoomian")
- The Essential Atlas
- The events described in Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, which The New Essential Chronology dates to 22 BBY. take place concurrently with those of
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 39 ("Hida, Nar")
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones