The MD-series medical specialist droid was a line of medical droids manufactured by Industrial Automaton as a counterpart to the 2-1B surgical droid, to which they bore a strong cosmetic resemblance. The MD medical specialists were a common sight throughout the galaxy, and while not as advanced as the 2-1B, the MDs were highly respected on medical centers of less-civilized planets, where their low cost and high levels of specialization on specific medical fields were a big help for local physicians. They were also liked for their lower prices, as a standard unit would normally cost around 2,000 credits.
The series had different models that were identified with numbers ranging from the MD-0 up to the MD-10. The differences between these models were their special skill subroutines and specialty tool mounts; these two things made each model a specialized medical assistant for a specific field while keeping their external looks largely the same.
MD units served aboard the Death Star I.
An MD-5 medical droid was used by the High Lord of House Calipsa, Weston Warsheld of the Tapani sector. Another MD-5 unit by the name of Emdee served ersatz Emperor Trioculus during the period where he was used as a figurehead of the Grand Moff coup attempt.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Death Star Technical Companion, Second Edition
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Second Edition
- "Cynabar's Droid Datalog"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 13
- Lords of the Expanse
- The Essential Guide to Droids
- Look Sir, Droids!"—Star Wars Gamer 3 "
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 9 (MAN2, Droid Manufacturers)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 13 (MED4, FX Medical Assistant)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 96 (MED5-6, MD Medical Specialist)
- Bartyn's Landing"—Star Wars Gamer 7 "
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- (As "MD specialist droid")
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "MD droid")