The MPL-57 could fire three grenades with a short delay fuse in rapid succession, making it useful for infantry engagements. In addition to its use as a grenade launcher, there were two common modifications of the MPL-57 used during the Galactic Civil War. The first variation refitted the launcher to fire ion torpedoes, and had the leaf sight replaced with an electronic targeting scope to lock on to vehicle targets and stationary weapons. The second variation refitted the launcher to fire homing missiles and added a targeting scope that would lock on to organic signatures, such as enemy soldiers.
The MPL-57 was designed by Merr-Sonn Munitions, Inc. during the Galactic Civil War. It proved popular for its versatility and capability for firing a wide variety of ammunition. Both the soldiers of the Alliance to Restore the Republic and stormtroopers of the Galactic Empire utilized the weapon.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Darth Vader (2015) 1
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Legion – Star Wars: Legion Core Set (Card: MPL-57 Ion Trooper)
- Star Wars: Legion – Rebel Troopers Unit Expansion (Card: MPL-57 Ion Trooper)
- Star Wars: Legion – Fleet Troopers Unit Expansion (Card: MPL-57 Barrage Trooper)