- "I'm never going to be able to build my lightsaber."
"Patience, young Mace. The secret is that the pieces never needed to be built."
- ―Mace Windu and Huyang
Mace Windu's lightsaber was a Jedi weapon constructed by Jedi Master Mace Windu following his appointment as a senior member of the Jedi High Council. One of the most distinctive lightsabers in the Jedi Order due to its amethyst plasma blade, Windu would carry this weapon into battle on multiple occasions during the Clone Wars in which he served as a Jedi General in the Grand Army of the Republic. The lightsaber was ultimately lost when it fell out a window during a confrontation between Windu and the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, who then killed the Jedi Order's champion through the use of Force lightning.
Description[edit | edit source]
As one of the most notable members of the Jedi Order, Jedi Master Mace Windu carried a lightsaber distinguished by its unique amethyst plasma blade. Its distinctive color served as warning to adversaries that the Jedi Order's greatest champion was ready to fight.
Serving as his final lightsaber, Windu constructed it after many years of experience and used the highest standards to make a superior weapon. In addition to a specially designed handgrip, the lightsaber's electrum finish indicated Windu's status as a senior member of the Jedi High Council.
History[edit | edit source]
- "In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you're under arrest, Chancellor."
- ―Mace Windu, to Darth Sidious
At the height of the Separatist Crisis in 22 BBY, Mace Windu led a Jedi assault team to the Separatist world of Geonosis in an effort to rescue the Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi, resulting in a confrontation between the Jedi and a force of battle droids. During the battle, Windu was confronted by Jango Fett, a bounty hunter employed by the Separatist leader Count Dooku. The expert swordsman calmly deflected Fett's blaster shots and killed the mercenary by severing his armored head with one slash of his lightsaber. Afterward, Windu carried his lightsaber into the main battle where he led the newly-formed clone army of the Galactic Republic against the Separatist Droid Army.
Following the First Battle of Geonosis, Windu helped to oversee the overall war effort as a Jedi General of the Grand Army of the Republic. He also took his lightsaber into battle on multiple occasions, helping to liberate Ryloth and defend Malastare against Separatist forces. After three years of war however, the Jedi discovered that the Republic's leader, Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, was in fact Darth Sidious—the Dark Lord of the Sith who conspired to destroy the Jedi in order to take over the galaxy. Knowing that the Jedi Order's fate hung in the balance, Windu attempted to arrest the chancellor before his plot came to fruition. Although the Sith Lord succeeded in killing three of Windu's colleagues in an ensuing lightsaber duel, the Jedi Master ultimately prevailed and disarmed Sidious of his weapon.
Refusing to accept defeat, Sidious attacked Windu with a blast of Force lightning, forcing the Jedi Master to block the lightning with his lightsaber. As a result, the lightning was redirected to its source, leaving Sidious' face disfigured in the process. Before he could strike down the Sith Lord, the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker used his own weapon to sever Windu's hand in order to save Sidious' life, leaving the hand, alongside the lightsaber it carried, to fall into the streets of Coruscant. With Windu injured by his former ally and bereft of his lightsaber, Sidious renewed his attack by unleashing torrent of Force lightning, resulting in the death of the Jedi Order's great champion.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "Lo, I am Manufactured" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Duel of Destiny" (Appears in hologram)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (DLC)
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Fortnite X Star Wars
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- — The kyber crystal Databank entry states that there is a kyber crystal "at the heart of every Jedi lighstaber."
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith