Magistrate was a title used to describe a planetary or community head of state during the time of the Old Republic, the Galactic Empire, and the New Republic. The term presumably refers to a state figure lower in rank than a governor. Many Magistrates, such as Greef Karga, Morgan Elsbeth and Governor Wing wore ceremonial cloaks of office with ornamental clasps and a chain to denote their rank.[source?]
Imperial wanted holograms told readers in Aurebesh to inform their nearest magistrate if they had any information regarding rebel insurgents. the term was also an authoritative legal title used by the Bastatha security forces. The Niktos Tosta and Xun were both magistrates of Bastatha, although they were in league with Rinnrivin Di's cartel. The Galactic Empire too had their own magistrates, with one being bribed into pardoning a dealer on Tangenine. Greef Karga was a magistrate for the Bounty Hunters' Guild on Nevarro, later using the title as leader of the city there and the surrounding area. The ruthless Morgan Elsbeth served as the magistrate of the city of Calodan on Corvus, before being overthrown and replaced by Governor Wing.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow (Mentioned in Aurebesh text only)
- Star Wars 69 (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 8: Redemption" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 12: The Siege"
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 13: The Jedi"
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Collapse of the Republic
- The Art of The Mandalorian Season One
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian: Making of Season Two