- "We're passing through the magnetic field! Hold tight! Switch your deflectors on, double-front!"
- ―Garven Dreis
A magnetic field, also called a magnetic shield, magnetic containment field, or magcon field for short, was a type of electromagnetic field that was generated in order to contain atmosphere or other gaseous substances within a certain space.
Magnetic fields were used throughout the galaxy to contain the atmosphere within starship hangars, as well as to protect pilots who were forced to abandon their vehicles while in realspace and did not have the benefit of environmental or vac-rated life-support enviro-suits. In addition, magcon fields were used on starships to help shield against the effects of ion storms and other forms of potentially damaging interstellar radiation. Fields of this type kept in air, but were notoriously poor at retaining heat, resulting in cold temperatures.
Both Death Stars had quite large magnetic fields.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Death Star Technical Companion, Second Edition
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- Platt's Starport Guide
- Goroth: Slave of the Empire
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
- Flashpoint! Brak Sector
- The DarkStryder Campaign
- The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy
- "Shape-shifters"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 12
- "Scouts' Dispatch"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 13
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- Lords of the Expanse
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
[edit | edit source]
- Magnetic field on Wikipedia