- "That's why everyone gives in to a Bor. Not to make the pain stop. But so there's something left of you afterwards."
- ―An Imperial interrogation officer
Mairan, also referred to as Bors, were a non-sentient multi-tentacled multipod species that were native to Maires. They had the unique ability to read minds, and as a result, they were often used as a form of torture by the Galactic Empire and the Partisans.
Biology and appearanceEdit
- "Bor Gullet can feel your thoughts. No lie is safe. [...] Bor Gullet will know the truth. The unfortunate side-effect is that one tends to lose one's mind."
- ―Saw Gerrera, to Bodhi Rook
Mairan, sometimes known as Bors, were a non-sentient multi-tentacled multipod species hailing from Maires. They were unique for being able to read minds and erase memories. It was known for some individuals to lose their minds after having their mind plundered by a Mairan.
Mairans in the galaxyEdit
Saw Gerrera's Partisans kept a Mairan named Bor Gullet. During the Galactic Civil War, the Galactic Empire kept three Mairans in ice, occasionally defrosting them to interrogate prisoners, with Bor Ifriem being used to interrogate Chelli Aphra in Accresker Jail. Decades later, Harra the Hutt collected a Mairan in her menagerie on the planet Vodran.
Behind the scenesEdit
Mairan first appeared in the Gareth Edwards' 2016 anthology film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Although the canon novel Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran, written by Ben Acker and Ben Blacker, identified them as Bors, Doctor Aphra 21: The Catastrophe Con, Part II, a canon comic written by Simon Spurrier and penciled by Kev Walker, identified the Mairans for the first time. In Star Wars legends, the Mairan first appeared in the novel Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers, written by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Rogue One Adaptation 2
- Doctor Aphra 21: The Catastrophe Con, Part II (First identified as Mairan)
- Doctor Aphra 22: The Catastrophe Con, Part III
- Doctor Aphra 23: The Catastrophe Con, Part IV
- Doctor Aphra 24: The Catastrophe Con, Part V
- Doctor Aphra 26: Worst Among Equals, Part I (Appears on viewscreen)
- Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance: Attack on Starkiller Base (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Doctor Aphra 22: The Catastrophe Con, Part III
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Alien Archive
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Doctor Aphra 21: The Catastrophe Con, Part II
- ↑ Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers