- "Nik, none of you should be living here. We can't guarantee your safety, you know that."
- ―Officer Mal, to Nik Deleru, about refugees in the Old Galactic Market
Mal was a Human male police officer with the Coruscant Security Force during the time of the Cold War between the reconstituted Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic. Officer Mal was assigned to the Old Galactic Market district of the planet Coruscant. There, Mal tried to fulfill his duty of keeping the peace; however, he was hampered by a lack of resources and the fighting between CSF police forces and Migrant Merchants' Guild thugs. On one occasion, Mal was approached by a refugee Nautolan named Nik Deleru whose mate, Ria Deleru, had been taken by the Guild. Though Mal was unable to assist, an individual offered to help retrieve Ria.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- "I failed to pay my protection payments and as you can see, Coruscant Security could care less."
"Oh, for goodness sake Nik give it a rest!"
- ―Nik Deleru and Officer Mal
Officer Mal was a Human male who served as a police officer with the Coruscant Security Force during the Cold War between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic on the planet Coruscant. Mal was assigned to the Old Galactic Market commercial district of Galactic City. In the aftermath of some riots, the Old Galactic Market had been overrun by refugees and a criminal organization known as the Migrant Merchants' Guild. The Guild claimed to protect the interests of the refugees, but in reality, it demanded protection money and was involved in illegal actives such as money laundering and smuggling. Though the CSF had been able to retake a portion of the Galactic Market, most of it remained under the Guild's control. a Nautolan named Nik Deleru reported to Mal that his mate, Ria Deleru, had been taken by the Guild. Nik requested Mal's help in retrieving her; however, Mal did not have enough men to enter the Guild control area and retrieve Ria.
While arguing over the CSF's ability to retrieve Ria from the Migrant Merchants' Guild headquarters, a Republic individual offered to retrieve Ria for Nik. The individual was able to locate Ria, who informed them that she had actually intentionally left Nik and wanted to make a better life for herself. She asked that the individual tell Nik that she had left the planet. The individual returned to Nik and Officer Mal and reported what Ria had requested.
Personality and traits[edit | edit source]
- "I wish I could help Nik, I really do. But I can't spare the manpower."
- ―Officer Mal, about retrieving Ria Deleru from the Migrant Merchants' Guild
Officer Mal was dark-skinned, with blue eyes and black hair. He was dedicated to his job and felt it was his duty to protect. Faced with the struggles of the refugees, Mal believed that since they had no business living in the Old Galactic Market, any situation in which they became involved was partially of their own doing. The refugees in turn blamed the CSF for not stopping the Guild. Tired of being blamed for their problems by the refugees, Mal nevertheless cared for their plight. Yet with the CSF's lack of manpower and resources, he was unable to get involved and help the refugees with problems involving the Guild. This led Mal to become frustrated with the Guild, the refugees, and his inability to act.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Mal appears in the "For Better or Worse" Republic-sided mission in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game by BioWare released on December 20, 2011. The player can choose to accept the light side mission from Nik Deleru to rescue Ria. During the conversation, Mal's frustrations and opinions are revealed. For light side points, the player can choose to tell Nik that Ria was gone or can force Ria to return to Nik for dark side points. This article assumes that the character chooses the light side option.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Mission: "For Better or Worse" on Coruscant
- Star Wars: The Old Republic about ten to twelve years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which is dated to 3653 BBY by Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia. The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2 takes place ten years after the treaty, one week after the mission to Nar Shaddaa, and around the time of the SpecForce Incident. Since the mission and the incident are respectively part of Act I of the Jedi Knight and Republic Trooper's storylines, and the Trooper's Act I occurs concurrent to Act I of the Smuggler storyline, the general events of Act I for all classes can be assumed to occur in 3643 BBY. The Prologue for each class immediately precedes Act I, and Act III for all classes begins with the start of the Galactic War, which Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia places around 3640 BBY. Assuming that in-universe chronology of the Star Wars: The Old Republic events roughly aligns with the release of story content in real-life as with , the Act III Epilogue must take place near the end of 3640 BBY since it was the chronologically latest story of the The Old Republic base game, which was released toward the end of 2011. Therefore, assuming that The Old Republic takes place over the course of three years per the former of the two aforementioned swtor.com posts, Act I takes place near the end of 3643 BBY. places