Mandalorian super commandos were Mandalorian warriors who served the former Sith Lord Darth Maul and his criminal syndicate, the Shadow Collective, during the Clone Wars. Following the dissolution of Duchess Satine Kryze's pacifist government, Mand'alor Pre Vizsla was slain in single combat by his one-time ally Maul, who claimed his opponent's place as leader of the planet Mandalore and its people. This act would seve to split Vizsla's organization, Death Watch, between Bo-Katan Kryze's supporters and the Mandalorians who sided with Maul. As the Mandalorian homeworld fell into a state of civil war, Maul's super commandos modified their combat armor to reflect their allegiance to the Dathomirian Nightbrother.
The Mandalorian super commandos consisted of Death Watch soldiers who were loyal to Darth Maul, leader of the Shadow Collective, who killed Pre Vizsla and took control of Mandalore during the Clone Wars. However, his status as Vizsla's successor was disputed by Bo-Katan Kryze, leading to a civil war in the Mandalorian capital city of Sundari between Maul's commandos and Kryze's Nite Owls. During the battle, several commandos were killed by Darth Sidious, Maul's Sith Master, who then subdued and captured his former Sith apprentice.
Fighting the ConfederacyEdit
- "The war you have waited your entire lives to fight is upon us, my brothers! Victory or death!"
- ―Darth Maul
The commandos regrouped with the rest of Shadow Collective's forces and journeyed to Ord Mantell, regrouping in the city with their Black Sun and Pyke Syndicate allies, as well as the Nightbrothers of Dathomir. Shortly afterward, the Shadow Collective and its allies fought against another Separatist army, now led by both Grievous and Count Dooku. The commandos succeeded in holding off the battle droids long enough for Maul and Kast to deactivate the command signal from Grievous' ship and assisted the Nightbrothers in taking Dooku captive.
Battle with the RepublicEdit
The commandos guarded both Dooku and Grievous until they arrived at Vizsla Keep 09. However, when the Galactic Republic attacked, Grievous was able to make his escape and kill several of the commandos. The commandos fought the Republic forces under Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi, Tiplee, Mace Windu, Aayla Secura, and Commander Cody. After Tiplee was killed, the commandos were able to fire their rockets at the Jedi to make their escape to the gauntlet fighters. However, several commandos were captured by the Republic.
Losing Talzin, the Pykes, and Black SunEdit
The commandos and the Shadow Collective traveled with Maul to his homeworld of Dathomir. However, Black Sun and the Pykes abandoned the Collective and retreated when Grievous's fleet arrived on Dathomir, and on their planets. The group had another monumental loss when Mother Talzin was killed.
The super commandos continued to utilize Mandalorian armor during their service under Darth Maul's leadership. However, they modified its appearance to reflect their allegiance to the Sith Lord. In addition to painting their armor in red and black, some commandos sought to better resemble their Nightbrother leader by fashioning horns on their helmets. A large number of them had clawed handprints over their helmets, similar to the handprint of Rishi eel blood on clone trooper Echo's chestplate
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless" (First appearance)
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four
- Star Wars Rebels – "Visions and Voices" (Helmet only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- (Picture only)
- (as "Death Watch commando")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3
- ↑ Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- ↑ Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- ↑ Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four