- "Impressive. I suspect even Maul couldn't get out of there."
"A relic of a bygone era when Mandalorians had reason to imprison you Force-wielding maniacs."
- ―Ahsoka Tano and Bo-Katan Kryze
A Mandalorian vault, also known as a Mandalorian sarcophagus, was a mobile prison cell utilized by the warriors of the planet Mandalore to contain captured Force-sensitives. The Mandalorians used these devices in the years prior to the Clone Wars to imprison Knights of the Jedi Order, though they were eventually outlawed by Duchess Satine Kryze, who ushered in an era of peace for her war-stricken planet. By 19 BBY, only one vault remained. Following the Siege of Mandalore in that same year, this last device was used to transport the world's despot ruler Maul from Mandalore's capital city Sundari to a Venator-class Star Destroyer scheduled to deliver the rogue dark sider to the planet Coruscant.
While the ship was en route to the Core Worlds, however, Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine delivered Order 66 to the commanders of the Clone Army, instructing them to execute all Jedi. Clone Commander Rex of the 501st Legion dispatched two clone troopers to execute Maul as well, but they were subdued by the former Padawan Ahsoka Tano, who freed Maul from his prison so that he could serve as a distraction while she escaped the clones.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The vault first appeared in "Shattered", the eleventh episode of the seventh season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The episode was directed by Saul Ruiz, written by Dave Filoni, and released on Disney+ on May 1, 2020.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First identified as Mandalorian sarcophagus)
- (First identified as Mandalorian vault)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shattered"
- The events of "Shattered" are shown to be parallel to those of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, the events of which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas date to 19 BBY. Therefore, the events of "Shattered," including the appearance of the prison device, must occur in that year.
- Episode 711 "Shattered". Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International. The Walt Disney Company. Archived from the original on April 29, 2020. Retrieved on April 29, 2020.