- "These things are fleet-killers! We can't let it get away!"
- ―Poe Dameron, to General Leia Organa during the evacuation of D'Qar
The Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought, also known as the Mandator IV-class warship and the First Order Dreadnought, was a model of Siege Dreadnought used by the First Order during their conflict with the Resistance.
The Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought was a class of Star Dreadnought of the Mandator line and was two-and-a-half times the length of the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer, coming in at 7,669.71 meters. It had a crew of 53,000 officers, 140,000 enlisted personnel, and 22,000 stormtroopers.
The Mandator IV-class was armed with two orbital autocannons that could fire a salvo of two rounds each in quick succession before a recharge was needed. The starship's dorsal surface featured twenty-six point-defense laser cannons for protection against starfighters, and six tractor beam projectors were located on the ship's bow. The design was a test project that informed the Xyston-class Star Destroyer design.
Rise of the First OrderEdit
The Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought was among the hundreds of vessels developed by the First Order under the auspices of Project Resurrection. Its design was inspired by Darth Vader's flagship, the Executor.
Iden Versio and Dio, after infiltrating the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer Retribution, sliced into the onboard computer terminals to gather information on Project Resurrection, where they discovered, among other things, blueprints for the Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought.
Battle of D'QarEdit
During the war between the First Order and the Resistance, the Fulminatrix joined a group of three Resurgent-class Star Destroyers at D'Qar led by General Armitage Hux and was commanded by Captain Moden Canady. The Fulminatrix and the rest of the First Order forces engaged in the siege of D'Qar, and the Fulminatrix destroyed the Resistance base located there using the underbelly autocannons. As a counterattack, Resistance Commander Poe Dameron destroyed the point defense cannons and led a bombing run of MG-100 StarFortress SF-17 bombers before the Fulminatrix could target the Resistance navy. After an intense space battle, the final Resistance bomber, though fatally damaged, managed to destroy the Fulminatrix and allow the Resistance to escape the Ileenium system.
After a period of time after the escape from Castilon, the Colossus arrived over D'Qar to the site of the battle. In desperate need of coaxium, members of the Colossus raided the wreckage of the Fulminatrix which still had power. Although the First Order tracked the Colossus from Castilon to D'Qar and briefly engaged them, the Colossus was able to salvage coaxium from the Fulminatrix and jump to hyperspace.
Annihilation on Tah'NuhnaEdit
After the Battle of Crait, the First Order chased the Resistance and eventually discovered a Resistance signal had reached the planet Tah'Nuhna, which was famous for its neutrality. In response, Hux led a fleet of Resurgent-class Star Destroyers and at least one Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought. Despite the Tah'Nuhna pleading that they were neutral and their culture compelled them to help travelers in need, Hux ordered the planet's destruction. As a result, the Mandator IV-class fired on the planet, while First Order TIE bombers bombed areas and snowtroopers massacred the people in a city.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Mandator IV-class warship was unveiled on August 23, 2017 on the Star Wars Show on YouTube, alongside the All Terrain MegaCaliber Six, showcasing several vehicles that have appeared in Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi.
According to Kevin Jenkins, the design supervisor for The Last Jedi, the ship was already indicated in the initial script, but its design did not occur until post-production. He also indicated that director Rian Johnson specifically requested for a bigger battleship known as a dreadnought for the film, and that it would act as a gun platform as well as a flat surface with lots of cannons on it. He also indicated that the design was taken from multiple real-world elements, namely World War II (especially the use of big guns among several things like the Yamato super-battleship and others) as well as the Korean War, and that the historical inspirations even went right up to the 1960s. He also indicated that, similar to other ships in the Sequel trilogy, the ship was based largely on designs from the original trilogy, at least insofar as it resembling an ILM model. They also ultimately decided on just using big guns instead of other elements like a Flash Gordon-based design as well as radar equipment.
The Star Wars: Card Trader app previously labeled this vessel as a Mandator III-class Siege Dreadnought, which currently only exists in Star Wars Legends, however this was recently corrected in the app.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First appearance) (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 1
- Star Wars Resistance – "A Quick Salvage Run" (Wreckage only)
- Poe Dameron 31 (Mentioned only)
- Allegiance 1
- Spark of the Resistance (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought, simultaneous with Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections (First identified as Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought, simultaneous with Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary)
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Heroes of the Galaxy
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "A Quick Salvage Run"
- ↑ Allegiance 1