Mantigrues were flying, carnivorous reptavians native to the craggy cliffs and deep woods of the forest moon of Endor. They walked on two legs and had three digits on each leathery wing, which were used for grasping prey.
Ewok lore held that mantigrues served the Night Spirit, an invisible, evil deity who controlled the night's darkness.
Behind the scenesEdit
Mantigrues first appeared in The Adventures of Teebo: A Tale of Magic and Suspense, a children's book written by Joe Johnston, but the same creature appeares at Star Wars: Return of the Jedi 3: Mission to Endor. Johnston was also the production designer for the movie Ewoks: The Battle for Endor, which was published a year later and featured the Condor dragon. Concept artworks and game files of Star Wars Galaxies refer to the mantigrue as "Condor dragon." Mantigrues were mentioned in the article Supernatural Encounters: The Trial and Transformation of Arhul Hextrophon, wherein the Mantigrue was stated to be the same creature as the devil beast, and sharing a common ancestor with the Condor dragon. However the article was never officially published. The related information that was to be published in the article is outlined below.
In the primordial galaxy, the Mantigrue first emerged as offspring of the mating of the Firstborn Duinuogwuin species and the bioengineered Basiliskans created by the being Cold Danda Sine. Monstrous and temperamental, the Mantigrue were considered abominations by their Duinuogwuin progenitors. They came to be known as devil beasts millennia after they emerged.
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- The Adventures of Teebo: A Tale of Magic and Suspense
- Ewoks—"The Haunted Village"
- Perfect Antidote
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi 3: Mission to Endor (First appearance)
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Gamer 9
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 1 (WIC2, Wicket W. Warrick)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Supernatural Encounters: The Trial and Transformation of Arhul Hextrophon(Canceled novella) (Mentioned only)