- "With all due respect, the ambassadors for the Supreme Chancellor wish to board immediately."
"Yes, of course. As you know, our blockade is perfectly legal, and we'd be happy to receive the ambassadors."
- ―Maoi Madakor and Nute Gunray
Maoi Madakor was a human female who served as a captain in the Judicial Forces during the reign of the Galactic Republic. In 32 BBY, she piloted the Consular-class space cruiser Radiant VII with co-pilot Antidar Williams to the Naboo system in order to deliver the Jedi ambassadors Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
The two Jedi aimed to negotiate an end to the Trade Federation's blockade of the planet Naboo. Upon reaching the blockade, Madakor landed the cruiser on the Federation flagship, the Saak'ak, so that the Jedi could meet with Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray. After the Jedi disembarked the Radiant VII, it was destroyed by a Federation droid laser turret, killing Madakor and Williams.
"Tell them we wish to board at once."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn and Maoi Madakor
Maoi Madakor was a human female who served in the Judicial Forces as captain of the Radiant VII, a Consular-class space cruiser belonging to the Diplomatic Corps of the Galactic Republic. In 32 BBY, the Trade Federation blockaded the planet Naboo over a trade dispute. In response, Madakor was tasked with transporting the Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi to the Naboo system so that they could negotiate an end to the blockade on behalf of Republic Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum.
Madakor piloted the Radiant VII alongside fellow Judicial Antidar Williams, and, upon arriving in the Naboo system, they headed toward the Trade Federation flagship, the Saak'ak. On Jinn's orders, Madakor contacted Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray to let him know that they wished to board at once, and she then landed the cruiser within one of the Federation starship's hangar bays. After the Jedi left the vessel to begin negotiations, Madakor and Williams remained in the cockpit and awaited their return.
After receiving orders from his master, the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, Gunray gave the command for the Republic ambassadors to be killed, and a droid laser turret descended from the ceiling of the hangar bay. Antidar spotted the turret and warned Madakor, who began giving an order to raise the Radiant VII's shields, but before she could finish the order, the cruiser was destroyed, resulting in the deaths of both pilots. Jinn and Kenobi managed to avoid their would-be executioners and escaped the Saak'ak, eventually aiding the people of Naboo in defeating the Federation.
Personality and traitsEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
Maoi Madakor was portrayed by Bronagh Gallagher in the 1999 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. All of the scenes taking place in the cockpit of the Radiant VII were filmed on September 8, 1997. In the new Star Wars canon, the character's name was first used in the 2017 reference book Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia. In the Star Wars Legends continuity, the character first appeared in the novelization of The Phantom Menace, which was written by Terry Brooks and released prior to the film.
While her surname was first used on a card in the 2001 Coruscant Limited expansion set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game, Madakor's first name first appeared in the 2002 magazine The Official Star Wars Fact File 33. In the original script for the film, Madakor's final line is not "Shields up!" but instead "No! Warn…," and in a rough cut of the film, it was recorded as "Warn the Jedi!"
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as Maoi Madakor)
- Ultimate LEGO Star Wars
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z (Indirect mention only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which includes Maoi Madakor's death, to 32 BBY.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Complete Vehicles identifies the starship that Maoi Madakor dies aboard in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace as the Radiant VII, while Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know identifies the Trade Federation flagship where the Radiant VII was docked as the Saak'ak.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Tarkin identifies the organization that Maoi Madakor and Antidar Williams are shown to be a part of in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace as the Judicial Forces.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Antidar Williams (★) (link))
- ↑ Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Coruscant Limited (Card: Captain Madakor)
- ↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File 33 (REP1-2, "Republic Cruiser")
- ↑ "Star Wars Q&A"—Star Wars Insider 68