- "The map to Skywalker. We know you've found it, and now you're going to give it to the First Order."
- ―Kylo Ren, to Lor San Tekka
The map to Skywalker was a holographic star map of part of the galaxy that showed the location of the first Jedi Temple on Ahch-To, where Luke Skywalker was hiding in exile. Kylo Ren described it as a transgalactic navigational chart.
During their conflict with the Resistance, the First Order recovered part of the map from the Archives of the Empire, while Lor San Tekka was able to get part of a map. Skywalker's droid, R2-D2, also received a portion of the map from his master, then went into low-power mode to protect the data. It was impossible to distinguish where the map led without both portions.
The First Order only needed Tekka's portion to find Skywalker and complete the map. Ren, Gideon Hask, and a detachment of stormtroopers went to the aquatic planet Pillio on a report that Jinata Security had found a mysterious man they had found in the Emperor's Observatory. It turned out to be Del Meeko, Hask's former squadmate from Inferno Squad. After forcing Meeko to tell him where Tekka was, Ren let Hask confront and kill Meeko. They eventually found Tekka on Jakku, although they didn't find the map.
After the Battle of Starkiller Base, R2 was awakened from his low-power mode. The Resistance combined R2's portion with Tekka's (who was now dead at the hands of Ren) portion to reveal the completed map. Rey, Chewbacca and R2-D2 followed the map to Ahch-To, where they found the self-exiled Jedi Master.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
An idea intended by J.J. Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan and Michael Arndt for the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens was that R2-D2 got valuable data from the Empire and the locations of Jedi Temples when he plugged into the information base of the Death Star during Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "Attack of the Conscience" (Indirect mention only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Highlights of the Saga: Assault on Jakku)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 44 (Highlights of the Saga: Striking at the New Republic)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 46 (Databank A-Z: Providence-class–Raxus; Highlights of the Saga: The Hunt for Luke Skywalker)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 48 (Highlights of the Saga: Fire on Jakku)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 52 (Databank A-Z: Hera Syndulla–Ahsoka Tano; Highlights of the Saga: Reclaiming the Falcon)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 68 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Finalizer)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Bust Collection 4 (Star Wars Universe: Searching for the Map to Skywalker)
- (Picture only)