- "I'm tired of all this deception. I don't care if they know we're married."
- ―Anakin Skywalker, to Padmé Amidala
Marriage was a recognized union of multiple beings as partners in a relationship, with a wedding ceremony often formalizing the arrangement. Various combinations of genders could enter into a marriage. In some cultures, males had more than one spouse at a time. The Jedi Order did not permit Jedi to marry due to a prohibition on possessive attachment that could lead to the dark side.
Marriage was the formally recognized union of at least two beings as partners in a relationship. A marriage ceremony, which could be presided over by a clergy member, was referred to as a wedding. Beings of differing genders or the same gender could be married.
Betrothal, also known as engagement, was a marital custom of certain cultures. Two beings would be "betrothed" or "engaged" before officially marrying. Some cultures' rules required that betrothed individuals must not engage in reproductive activities prior to their marriage. In some cultures, males had more than one spouse at a time, such as the alpha-bulls of the Crolute species who had senior spouses, junior spouses, and concubines. Marriages could be dissolved through divorce. A woman who had lost her spouse by death was called a widow.
In the Jedi Order, emotional attachment and possession were forbidden because they could lead to jealousy and fear of loss, and ultimately the dark side of the Force; for that reason, Jedi were not allowed to marry.
Former Separatist Senator Lux Bonteri infiltrated the Death Watch accompanied by Padawan Ahsoka Tano in 20 BBY. Bonteri had discovered that Count Dooku ordered the assassination of his mother, Mina Bonteri, and sought revenge by allying with the Mandalorian terrorist group. Ahsoka snuck aboard Bonteri's ship and the Death Watch did not expect her to accompany Bonteri, so he claimed she was his betrothed. Later, when Tano denounced the Death Watch to Bonteri, the young man kissed her to silence her criticism as Bo-Katan Kryze approached.
During his travels through the Unknown Regions, the Agbui Haplif had found that the custom of betrothed individuals abstaining from sex was usually be ignored. Haplif was thus surprised when the Chiss mid-ager Yoponek insisted on having a separate sleeping room from his betrothed, Yomie.
Prior to 14 BBY, the Imperial Moff Delian Mors was widowed when her wife, Murra Mors, was killed in a transport accident. Her grief contributed to her spice addiction and the neglect of her duties on Ryloth.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Poe Dameron 27
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Lords of the Sith
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of "Prisoners" and "Crisis on Naboo" to 20 BBY. The episode "A Friend in Need" takes place between those two episodes according to , so the episode must also take place in 20 BBY.
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the wedding of Han Solo and Leia Organa to thirty years before the "Starkiller Incident", which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. From this it can be deduced that the wedding took place in 4 ABY.
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary states that Poe Dameron began leading Black Squadron on missions two years before the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. "Resistance Revisited" – Star Wars Insider 190 establishes that the events of Star Wars Resistance Season One take place thirty years after the Battle of Endor, which corresponds to 34 ABY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As the events of Star Wars: Poe Dameron occur before the events of Star Wars Resistance, this event must have occurred between 32 ABY and 34 ABY.
- Poe Dameron 25
- Doctor Aphra (2016) 9