- "So imagine my surprise when I discovered this creamy mashed chokeroot recipe on my last visit to Saleucami. Never would've guessed that mixin' in some falumpaset cheese and simple spices would bring out an inherent sweetness hidin' beneath the chokeroot's surface."
- ―Strono Tuggs
Mashed chokeroot was a dish that was crafted from chokeroot, falumpaset cheese, and orange-colored spices. It served as a component of the entrée Fried Endorian Tip-Yip and could be found on the Outer Rim planets Batuu and Saleucami. Mashed chokeroot was consumable by humans, Artiodacs, and Togrutas, and was considered a family standard on some worlds.
After discovering a recipe for mashed chokeroot that he considered "stellar," the chef Strono Tuggs served the dish in his traveling diner, Tuggs' Grub. He included a recipe for the dish in his cookbook, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, at some point after the Battle of Takodana in 34 ABY.
Description[edit | edit source]
- "Is this single stellar recipe enough to change my opinion about an ingredient I once despised? I dunno. Ask me after I scarf down another bowl or two…"
- ―Strono Tuggs, about mashed chokeroot
Mashed chokeroot was a cream-colored dish that could be served in bowls and was consumable by humans, Artiodacs, and Togrutas. The dish was made from chokeroot, falumpaset cheese, and orange-colored simple spices. Despite being relatively lacking in flavor on its own, chokeroot could take on a sweeter taste within the recipe for mashed chokeroot. This dish was known as a family standard on some worlds and served as a component of the entrée Fried Endorian Tip-Yip.
History[edit | edit source]
- "You should have seen how packed this place was when he first arrived. I might have snuck off work early just to get an order of fried Endorian tip-yip or seven."
- ―Julen Rakab, about Tuggs' Grub
In 4 ABY, months after the Battle of Endor, mashed chokeroot was served during a Taffral family dinner in the Taffral home on the Outer Rim Territories planet Saleucami. Before the meal took place, Webb Taffral, an Imperial loyalist, alerted Imperial forces to his Rebel Alliance–aligned brother, Dav's, location. When the dinner was interrupted by TIE fighters arriving over the Taffral home, Webb and Dav's father, Glen, stunned Webb with a blaster, causing him to fall face-first into a bowl of mashed chokeroot.
Until around the time that the chef Strono Tuggs stationed his traveling restaurant, Tuggs' Grub, in Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo on the Outer Rim planet Batuu, he considered chokeroot to be an ingredient lacking in taste and deemed it unsuitable for use in his cooking. However, the chef eventually visited Saleucami and discovered a creamy mashed chokeroot recipe that he considered "stellar" and thus reevaluated his opinion of the root. Tuggs included the recipes for mashed chokeroot and Fried Endorian Tip-Yip in his cookbook, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was authored sometime after the Battle of Takodana in 34 ABY.
Around 34 ABY, Fried Endorian Tip-Yip was served to Resistance spy Vi Moradi in Tuggs' Grub while it was visiting Batuu. Around the same year, the farmer Julen Rakab and the smuggler Izal Garsea were served Fried Endorian Tip-Yip while at the same establishment. When Garsea left the diner, Rakab's friend, the musician Neelo, came to their table and consumed the farmer's dish. The adventurer Eloc Throno included a brief description of Fried Endorian Chicken, another name for the Tip-Yip dish, which referred to mashed chokeroot as "mashed vegetables," in his book Traveler's Guide to Batuu.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Mashed chokeroot first appeared in Aftermath, a 2015 novel written by Chuck Wendig as the first installment of Star Wars: The Aftermath Trilogy. The dish is a component of the entrée Fried Endorian Tip-Yip, which was first made available to guests in the restaurant Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo at Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, a themed attraction that opened at Disneyland Park on May 31, 2019.
The real-world recipe for mashed chokeroot, included in Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Marc Sumerak's 2019 cookbook, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, uses milk, heavy cream, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, ground nutmeg, salt, pepper, artichoke hearts, one bay leaf, and the root vegetable parsnip. Additionally, the book's recipe for Fried Endorian Tip-Yip allows for mashed potatoes to be used as a substitute for mashed chokeroot.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Aftermath (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath audiobook)
- Aftermath audiobook (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (Mentioned only)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire audiobook (Mentioned only)
- A Crash of Fate (Mentioned only)
- A Crash of Fate audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo (First pictured)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
Notes and references[edit | edit source]