- "If it has blood, you can make it bleed. If it has eyes, you can blind it. If it has a mouth, you can make it scream…"
- ―Inscription found on an ancient lanvarok
The Massassi lanvarok was a primitive version of the lanvarok. Massassi warriors used this primitive version more than the rest of their species: a two-handed polearm that required brute strength rather than mechanical action or the Force to launch the same discs fired by a Sith lanvarok. After its disks were launched, the polearm itself could be used as a battle axe.
An exotic weapon when not in the hands of those for whom it was specialized, the Massassi lanvarok was one of two lanvarok variants: the Sith lanvarok, and the Massassi counterpart. Details on the construction and design of Massassi lanvaroks could be found in Sith holocrons. Unlike the Sith lanvarok, however, the Massassi variant was considered to be more primitive.
Like the Sith lanvarok, the Massassi lanvarok was an ancient weapon, designed in early Sith history for the left-handed tendencies of the Sith people. As the name suggests, the Massassi lanvarok was unique to the Massassi Sith subspecies. According to ancient Sith legend, the lanvarok was originally designed with the intention of being used as a hunting weapon.
- Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire 3: First Encounter (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi - Dark Lords of the Sith
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith (audio)
- Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi — The Sith War
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Exile (Vision)
- "Heritage of the Sith"—Star Wars Insider 88
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- The Dark Side Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology