- "When From a Certain Point of View came up they asked who I’d like to write about in A New Hope. I told them Qui-Gon! Though he wasn’t in the film, of course, I said I could show them how it might work. Though I didn’t anticipate writing a novel at that time, I had been saying to Lucasfilm Publishing that I would love to write about Qui-Gon in case there was ever a chance. I did not expect this book-length story to come along so quickly."
- ―Claudia Gray
Master & Apprentice is a canon novel that follows Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, approximately eight years prior to the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. It was written by Claudia Gray and published by Del Rey on April 16, 2019.
Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
A Jedi must be a fearless warrior, a guardian of justice, and a scholar in the ways of the Force. But perhaps a Jedi's most essential duty is to pass on what they have learned. Master Yoda trained Dooku; Dooku trained Qui-Gon Jinn; and now Qui-Gon has a Padawan of his own. But while Qui-Gon has faced all manner of threats and danger as a Jedi, nothing has ever scared him like the thought of failing his apprentice.
Obi-Wan Kenobi has deep respect for his Master, but struggles to understand him. Why must Qui-Gon so often disregard the laws that bind the Jedi? Why is Qui-Gon drawn to ancient Jedi prophecies instead of more practical concerns? And why wasn't Obi-Wan told that Qui-Gon is considering an invitation to join the Jedi Council—knowing it would mean the end of their partnership? The simple answer scares him: Obi-Wan has failed his Master.
When Jedi Rael Averross, another former student of Dooku, requests their assistance with a political dispute, Jinn and Kenobi travel to the royal court of Pijal for what may be their final mission together. What should be a simple assignment quickly becomes clouded by deceit, and by visions of violent disaster that take hold in Qui-Gon's mind. As Qui-Gon's faith in prophecy grows, Obi-Wan's faith in him is tested—just as a threat surfaces that will demand that Master and apprentice come together as never before, or be divided forever.
Plot summary[edit | edit source]
Continuity[edit | edit source]
In Master & Apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi is seventeen years old, and the app Star Wars: Card Trader states that Kenobi was born in 57 BBY. Therefore, it can be deduced that the story takes place in either 39 BBY or 40 BBY.
Media[edit | edit source]
Editions[edit | edit source]
- ISBN 9781984800817; April 11, 2019; Del Rey; US hardcover, Special Convention Edition
- ISBN 9780525619376; April 16, 2019; Del Rey; US hardcover, First Edition
- ISBN 9780525619383; April 16, 2019; Del Rey; US eBook
- ISBN 9781984800800; April 16, 2019; Del Rey; US hardcover, Signed Edition
- ISBN 9781984800824; April 16, 2019; Del Rey; US hardcover, Special Barnes & Noble Edition
- ISBN 9781984819611; September 24, 2019; Del Rey; US paperback
International[edit | edit source]
- June 2019; Szukits Könyvkiadó; Hungarian-language paperback
Cover gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Card Trader
- Master & Apprentice, Special Convention Edition
- Master & Apprentice, Signed Edition
- Földi Bence (2018-12-27). 7-8 Star Wars-regénnyel és 10-12 képregénnyel készül a Szukits 2019-re (Hungarian). Ziro.hu. Ziro.hu. Archived from the original on January 13, 2019. Retrieved on February 17, 2019. "A Szukits júniusban adná ki Claudia Graytől a Master and Apprentice-t."