- "He's a master codebreaker, an ace pilot, a poet with a blaster."
- ―Maz Kanata to Finn, Rose, and Poe Dameron
The Master Codebreaker was a human male codebreaker who was sought out by Rose Tico and Finn on a mission to stop the First Order's flagship, the Supremacy, from tracking the Resistance through hyperspace.
Master Codebreaker was known to Maz Kanata, who sent the pair after him while they were desperate for someone of his talents. When they finally spotted him in the Canto Casino in Canto Bight, they attempted to run up to him, but were apprehended by the Canto Bight Police Department for illegally parking their starship on the beach. The Master Codebreaker's companion—a woman going by the name "Lovey" who hoped to take his title—asked him about the disturbance, and he responded that he thought it was of little consequence.
Personality and traits
- "You'll find him with a red plom bloom on his lapel, rolling at a high stakes table in the casino on Canto Bight."
- ―Maz Kanata
Master Codebreaker was only known by his title, and kept his original identity a secret. However, he once posted all of his personal information to a public node, encrypted by bio-hexacrypt, and anybody who uncovered the information was welcome to take his mantle. However, nobody was known to have retrieved the information.
Matching his levels of secrecy, the Codebreaker's companion kept her real name hidden from him, and he only referred to her as "Lovey".
He regularly wore a brooch in the shape of a red flower, a plom bloom, pinned on his lapel, which Maz told Finn and Rose about as an identifying mark. On the day he was sought out by the pair, he was sporting a thin black mustache.
Behind the scenes
Master Codebreaker is a character created by Rian Johnson for the 2017 film Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi. He was portrayed by Justin Theroux. Prior to Theroux's casting, the Master Codebreaker was originally conceived as a giant insect warlord which was supposed to be an animatronic according to creature and droid effects supervisor Neal Scanlan, but the idea was scrapped when Theroux was cast one day before filming.
In earlier versions of the film's script, Finn and Rose met the Master Codebreaker inside a cabaret room of the Canto Casino, only to be taken in a quest for a stashed knapsack and arrested by the Canto Bight Police Department at the casino's rooftop—following their attempt to break into the Master Codebreaker's room to be discovered by a droid. Jason Fry, the author of the film's novelization, originally wanted (along with Johnson) to include this alternate meeting between the Codebreaker, Finn and Rose to shake up the fans' expectations, but ultimately it was decided that presenting an alternate version of a major scene would shake up expectations too much, so the idea was dropped.
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel audiobook
- The Last Jedi: Rose and Finn's Secret Mission
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 2
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 3
- The Last Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Shuttle Shock" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Heroes of the Galaxy (Indirect mention only)
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition (Indirect mention only)