- "Even you, master of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test."
- ―Snoke, to Kylo Ren
The master of the Knights of Ren, also known as boss of the Knights of Ren, was a title affiliated with the elite Knights of Ren—a group of marauders strong with the dark side of the Force. The title belonged to Kylo Ren, the heir to the Skywalker bloodline, while he was apprenticed to the ruler of the First Order, Supreme Leader Snoke.
During the final days of the First Order–Resistance war, the Knights of Ren served as bodyguards for their master, who had succeeded his own master as the new Supreme Leader of the First Order. However, Kylo ultimately rejected the dark side, renouncing his titles as Supreme Leader and master of the Knights of Ren. The remaining Knights retreated to the planet Exegol where they were defeated in battle by their former leader, the redeemed Jedi Ben Solo.
- "My Knights and I are going hunting for the scavenger."
- ―Kylo Ren
An enclave of masked warriors, the Knights of Ren served the will of a leader, referred to as master or boss, who had sole authority over them. As such, only the master could command the six elite warriors known as Ap'lek, Cardo, Kuruk, Trudgen, Ushar, and Vicrul.
- "But, kid, you ever want to try something a little different, learn more about your shadow…come look us up."
- ―Ren, to Ben Solo
During the reign of the New Republic, a gang of marauders strong with the dark side of the Force emerged from the Unknown Regions, calling themselves the Knights of Ren. Though they followed a warrior known as "Ren," he did not see them as his followers. As with Ren, the Knights were devotees of the Ren—a way of life epitomized by the lightsaber.
Ren's Knights were ultimately inherited by the Jedi Ben Solo following his conversion to the ways of the dark side. Though heir to the powerful Skywalker bloodline, Solo renounced his family and the Jedi Order, and desired to find his own path under the chosen name of Kylo Ren. The Force was exceptionally strong with Kylo, who inherited his connection to the spiritual energy from his mother, Princess Leia Organa—daughter of the Sith Lord Darth Vader. After a grueling trial, Kylo was gifted command over the Knights of Ren by his dark master, Supreme Leader Snoke, who promised the fallen Jedi apprentice powerful followers if he proved worthy. With his new role, Kylo adopted the title "master of the Knights of Ren."
However, the Knights were absent while Kylo established himself as a warlord and champion of the First Order. As Kylo oversaw the First Order's hunt for his exiled uncle, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, the Supreme Leader sensed that a reunion would ensue between Kylo and his father, Captain Han Solo. Though Kylo had forsaken all he once loved, at the time he did not know that a Sith trial of ascendancy required the sacrifice of a loved one. Snoke warned his apprentice to prepare himself, for even the master of Knights of Ren had never faced such a challenge. Through the Supreme Leader's training, Kylo believed that he would succeed where his grandfather failed.
Ultimately Kylo did not succeed in his trial; despite the death of his father, who was slain at the hands of his own son, Kylo remained at war with himself and was lost more than ever before. The experience, however, strengthened Kylo's resolve to carry on the tradition embodied by his fallen grandfather—by becoming the absolute ruler of the galaxy. After killing Snoke, Kylo seized control of the First Order as the new Supreme Leader.
With his new title, Kylo gained the power and independence that he long coveted after a lifetime of serving powerful masters. By freeing himself from Snoke's rule, Kylo embraced his role as a Knight of Ren once more, but this time on his own terms. He did so not only by reforging his shattered helmet, but also by summoning the Knights of Ren to act as his personal bodyguards. In this the Knights functioned in the same capacity as the Elite Praetorian Guards who served Snoke.
The Knights of Ren and the First Order remained distinctly separate from each other, with Kylo serving as the only link between them. The Knights followed commands given by their master and no one else, much to the displeasure of General Armitage Hux and other members of the Supreme Council. In 35 ABY the Knights were tasked to hunt Rey, a Resistance fighter and Jedi apprentice who vexed their master. In the end, the Knights lost their master when Ben Solo re-embraced the light side of the Force, destroying the dark persona of Kylo Ren in the process.
The Knights of Ren regrouped on the planet Exegol, where they confronted their former leader in the waning hours of the First Order–Resistance war. Despite their initial success, Solo was connected to Rey through the Force, allowing the scavenger to pass the Skywalker lightsaber to the grandson of its maker by way of their bond. Armed with the blade of his ancestor, Solo overwhelmed and defeated his former followers.
Behind the scenesEdit
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "Scouting for Leia/A Mission with Maz"
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "Rolling with BB-8/Resistance on the Run"
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide (as boss of the Knights of Ren)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker to one year after the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of The Force Awakens to 34 ABY, the events of The Rise of Skywalker must occur in 35 ABY.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 The Rise of Kylo Ren 1
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ↑ The Rise of Kylo Ren 2
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- ↑ 11.0 11.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker